The Nokia Lumia Icon isn’t exactly a secret. The device formerly known as the Lumia 929 has been spotted again, this time on Verizon’s website. We’ve seen this device over and over again, so can we finally get it from Verizon here in the United States?
A few days ago the Lumia Icon went on sale in China. That’s right, a Verizon-exclusive (it even had the Verizon branding) was being sold abroad before being sold on Verizon. It was a few weeks ago that the test-page Verizon was readying slipped out and we saw a case for the device at CES. Right now you’ll see the device on Verizon’s website for $777 on and off-contract. Something tells me the cannon was fired prematurely.
You can get the phone in either black or white on this site. Although the site looks like, we’re not busting out our credit cards just yet. There’s not much we don’t know about the Lumia Icon. We had a pretty great exclusive in early-November where we revealed all specs of the device and some great images of it in action. Here’s a quick recap:
- Qualcomm Quad-core Snapdragon 800 at 2.2 GHz
- 5 inch AMOLED display, 1080 x 1920
- 2 GB of RAM; 32 GB of internal storage (no micro SD)
- 20 MP PureView rear camera with oversampling (16 MP + 5 MP photos); Front facing camera
- Dual LED flash
- NFC, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 LE
- Qi wireless charging
- FM Radio
- At least three HAAC microphones
- Data Sense, NFL Mobile, Verizon Tones, VZ Navigator, My Verizon Mobile, Nokia StoryTeller, Nokia Screen Beamer
- Available colors: glossy white or matte black
Killer device right? It’s basically a Lumia 1520, but smaller. One thing we did just learn about the Lumia Icon that we weren’t completely sure on was whether or not it would support Verizon’s ISIS mobile payment platform. The specs on the Verizon page confirm that the Lumia Icon will include the ISIS NFC SIM pre-installed so you can make transactions using the Wallet app on Windows Phone at supported locations. Awesome!
We’ll reach out to Microsoft, Nokia, and Verizon and see if it’s finally time for the Lumia Icon to go legit. Otherwise this is probably another early outing.
Thanks for the tips everyone!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.