You may have noticed a lot of changes around here lately, whether it be our desktop and mobile websites, or on our forums, we’ve been rather busy. Of course, not to be outdone by all this change, it’s time for our app to see an update, and it’s a fairly major one at that.
So I present to you, the official Windows Phone Central app version 3.0, and the product of months and months of hard work, testing, private betas, and then lots more hard work!
The update is available to download right now from the Windows Phone Store here, but if you want to find out what’s new, read on for a feature list. Video walkthrough will follow in a future article, so stay tuned.
Our headline feature this time around, and one that with no doubt has been the most frequently requested, is full forum integration. Swipe over to the browse section and tap the forum tile and you’ll be welcomed to the new forum home screen (you could also tap and hold the forum tile if you want the option to pin it directly to your start screen - see above photo).
We’ve built this forum support from the ground up, based on the Tapatalk API and you’ll find support for:
- Posting and editing entries
- Browsing the forums including sub forums
- Quick jumping around the forums (just tap the header when you’re browsing)
- Viewing photos attached to posts
- Following links posted by other members
- Viewing profile information about users (just tap their tile when viewing a thread)
- Sending and receiving private messages
- Deep linking to forum posts from articles and vice versa
- Viewing recently participated and latest posts from the home screen
- Searching for a post within the forums
We’ve also made a few other changes you might appreciate:
- A new live tile to match the new site logo (rolling out soon to the website - this is a preview)
- New wallpapers featuring our new logo (available in 20 accent colors)
- Customisable themes for the app and live tile (try out a new Windows Phone 8 colour!)
- Improved YouTube video support with HD streaming even on mobile connections
- Rebranded with the new site logo
- Adjusted margins to bring more content to the front
- Added jump options to the comments section
- Fixed a multitude of bugs
- Made several optimisations to the app
- Reduced the app’s installed footprint to less than 1MB
I’m quite sure I’ve forgotten something from that list but hopefully it’s enough of a change to make you interested! We’ve also made all forum functionality available to free users, you guys will just see the same adverts you’re used to.
Without a doubt this has been a very challenging few months for me but I hope you’ll all feel it has been worth it! Of course, we always welcome your feedback in any form, so please comment, e-mail, post on the forums and generally get in touch!
The Razer Tomahawk is small in stature, but mighty in power
Razer has a new gaming PC on the scene, and this time it's a compact desktop. The Razer Tomahawk Gaming Desktop uses a variation of the Tomahawk case to bring a modular, powerful PC that's designed to take up very little of your desk space.
Review: Razer's Hammerhead True Wireless Pro deliver THX and ANC for gamers
If you're looking for really good wireless earbuds and also happen to like mobile gaming, the new Razer Hammerhead True Wireless Pro is what you need. Featuring THX audio, ANC, low-latency streaming, and excellent comfort, there's a lot to like. Here's what we think of them after a week of using them with iOS and Android.
Found out when Cyberpunk 2077 releases in your area on PC and console
Cyberpunk 2077 is really almost here, and CD Projekt RED has revealed the exact release times for local areas on PC and console, as well as pre-load information.
Make the most of your Surface Pen and Slim Pen with these awesome apps
To really maximize the ability of the Surface Pen and Slim Pen, there are some essential apps you should check out. We've rounded up the best right here for a variety of purposes.