Official WPCentral app updated with bug fixes
Last Saturday we had an update for the Official WPCentral app that introduced transparent Live tiles in Windows Phone 8.1, fixed bugs, unlocked all features for trial users and more. But we don’t let Jay rest too much, which is why you’ll find a new update in the Windows Phone Store. Curious as to what’s new? Of course you are, so read on to find what.
In the Windows Phone Store you’ll see the WPCentral app sitting pretty at version 126.96.36.199. Here’s what’s new in this release:
- Fixed a bug where launching the app from a toast notification did not clear the live tile
- Handled a critical exception that could occur whilst trying to retrieve ads from the Microsoft advert network
- Removed a warning message that was showing to trial users regarding the lock screen
This is a relatively fast update because of that second reason above. Some users in certain regions would experience errors with Microsoft’s Ad network. The app would crash, but Jay has fixed that for you all. You won’t find new features in this update, just ironing out some things for you guys to make the app enjoyable.
Looking ahead, last week Jay did tease he’s working on an update for the app that would give it a lot of Windows Phone 8.1 features. Anything specific you’d like to see our app do? Sound off below, but do let us know if this update fixes any recent issues you’ve been having!
Update (Jay Bennett): Unfortunately in the rush to fix the problem some of our friends in certain regions were having with the advertising provider I have missed a key part of my testing and introduced a bug. Right now if you're seeing a crash when you launch the app from a notification please switch the our Custom Flip Tile style rather than the Iconic live tile. I will fix this immediately but it will take a few days to pass certification so won't be until next week. My apologies to all who were using the Iconic live tile!
Download WPCentral from the Windows Phone Store.
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in your inbox, every day!
1)The images loaded onto the WPCentral forums are not opening in the app.... It says "show in browser".....
2)The text in the articles and forums look small on my 620, even after zooming. It is a tremendous strain on my eyes.
What to do? Using Lumia 620 with 8.1
I am one of the few users whose app crashed frequently on slower networks. Happy to see that it's fixed :-D
Wouldn't it be easier to address this issue if you render the tile on your server?
Edit: Now its works fine
Edit2: Doesn't work again
• The Reply box under Comments is always visible, even when just reading. It would be nice to have the box hidden, and call it up with a Reply command, to have maximize screen space.
• Article images push the text down upon downloading, it disrupts reading a bit on slow connections. Either preloading or a placeholder for the images could prevent the sudden shift of text I think.
Great app, thanks.
Perhaps collapsible comment threads?
Use this app every day, nice work to date
Message: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
Comment: Article: Official WPCentral app updated with bug fixes But after that it's perfect.