The popular media streaming app Plex has updated its universal app for Windows and Windows Phone 8.1. This new version includes a feature that detects if the app is installed on the European or Korean versions of Windows 10.
Why is this important? Microsoft labels the European version of Windows 10 to be the "N" version while the "NK" label is given to the one sold in South Korea. As Microsoft explains in this support page:
"The N and KN editions of Windows 10 include the same functionality as Windows 10, except for media-related technologies (Windows Media Player) and certain preinstalled media apps (Groove Music, Video, Voice Recorder, and Skype). You must install other software from Microsoft or a third-party for this communication functionality and to play or create audio CDs, media files, and video DVDs, to stream music, and to take and store pictures."
Naturally, this might affect how the Plex app works, so it has been updated to give users a message if it detects that it is installed on one of these versions of Windows 10. Here is the full change log:
- NEW – Detect N and K/N editions of Windows and display a helpful message
- (Win, UI) Improve keyboard navigation
- (Win, UI) Fix problem where server picker dropdown became too small with Windows 10 build 10586
- (Win) Fix search
- (Search, WP) Searches resulting in a single category did not show up
- (Camera Upload) Fix crash on upload
- (Camera Upload) Fix directory name sent to server
- Cloud Sync was not showing up as an available server
- Fix wrong sort order in server picker immediately after sign-in
- Some miscellaneous UI fixes on movie page
- Fix bug causing discovery to not run in some situations
- Server on local machine not showing as available if Wi-Fi is turned off
- Improved security when testing connections
- A number of user-reported crashes
While Plex is free to use, keep in mind that a number of its features can only be unlocked with an in-app purchase.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
'Mercury' is the code name of a large Xbox Store update, coming soon
You may have seen images of an app called "Mercury" floating around in Xbox communities. Here's what it is, and what we know so far.
Minecraft Dungeons: 10 things that we'd love to see improved
Minecraft Dungeons is a great game, but as we max out the game and hit full completion, there are a few things we think could easily be improved. Here are ten of them.
How Microsoft Teams changed my football team during the pandemic
The global health crisis caused my football team's practices and season to be canceled. To continue coaching, we switched to virtual classroom sessions using Microsoft Teams.
Building a Plex server? You need one of these hard drives.
Putting together a Plex server isn't difficult, especially with some killer NAS units that can do all the hard work for you. When it comes to storage, you should always look at picking up one of these hard drives.