What you need to know
- A new update for Microsoft's PowerToys tool is now available.
- A few new features are tagging along here, including a new color picker module.
- This update is available now as version 0.20.
PowerToys is one of those handy tools from Microsoft that just keeps on getting better, and that remains true with its latest update. This update comes in at version 0.20, and it adds a color picker to the mix, along with some new features for FancyZones and file explorer rendering. There are also some smaller tweaks related to PT Run and Keyboard manager.
Here's a full look at what's new in PowerToys version 0.20:
- Martin Chrzan's Color Picker was added in! With a quick Win+Shift+C, get the color from your screen
- File Explorer - Can now render SVG icons thanks to Chris Davis
- FancyZones - you can now snap to any number of zones in FancyZones holding Shift+Ctrl while dragging a window
- PT Run - keyboard interaction improvements
- PT Run - freshly installed apps are now being detected
- PT Run - Lots of perf and bug fixes
- Keyboard manager - app level shortcuts
- Example: For Outlook, Remap Ctrl+F to F4 and now Ctrl+F will put up the find window :)
- Keyboard manager - Now can remap key to shortcut and shortcut to key.
- Settings - Now has improved OOBE based on the work the Microsoft Garage Interns did during their hackathon PowerRename improvements.
If you've been looking for an easy way to do normally complex things in Windows, PowerToys is full of a bunch of useful tools to help you do so. FancyZones lets you create dedicated zones on your monitor to snap windows into, for example. Another tool makes it super easy to batch rename files or resize images. For more, you can check out PowerToys on GitHub.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.