Every weekend, Windows Central livestreams an Xbox One or Steam game for 1-2 hours and gives out free games to the cool people who join us during the stream. It's like a live podcast, only you also get to watch a game while chatting with our awesome readers and viewers!
Tonight on Beam, we played Quest of Dungeons from Upfall Studios. A "Rogue-lite" action-RPG with adorable retro graphics and permadeath, it's both a relaxing and challenging adventure. Read on for quick impressions, contest winners, and the full video replay.
Quest of Dungeons
In a faraway fantasy land, a skull-headed wizard steals all light, thrusting the world into darkness. Only a small band of adventurers dares to stand against him and try to reclaim the light. But rather than head in as a group, they choose a daring divide and conquer strategy…
Quest of Dungeons is a Rogue-lite action-role-playing game from Portugal-based indie developer Upfall Studios. It shares many characteristics of the Roguelike genre, including randomized dungeon layouts, items and shrines that can either help or harm the hero, and permadeath. If you die, it's back to square one! But don't worry, the game offers four difficulty levels, with the lower levels being quite fair.
At the start, players will select a character from a pool of four: Warrior, Wizard, Assassin, and Shaman. An additional class unlocks after beating the game, as does a completely new dungeon and the ability to create custom dungeons.
The objective is to reach the seventh floor and defeat the boss there. To do so, you'll explore vast and dimly lit dungeon areas, hunting for loot and battling powerful enemies. Heroes level up with experience and can find better equipment or buy it from shops. With careful playing and a bit of luck, you might have a chance of defeating the Dark Lord and restoring light to the world.
Quest of Dungeons initially launched on Xbox One and Steam, eventually arriving on Wii U and 3DS as well. The PlayStation 4 version is due out on January 17. Watch Paul take on this challenging quest and find out if he can win this Quest of Dungeons!
We streamed Quest of Dungeons for ~90 minutes. During that time, we gave out a total of 10 game codes:
- 7 Quest of Dungeons for Xbox One
- 3 Quest of Dungeons for Steam
See the contest winners at the end of this story.
How to watch Beam livestreams
We're now streaming on Beam, Microsoft's interactive livestreaming platform. It provides some welcome improvements over Twitch, such as a cleaner website layout, built-in stream interactivity, and extremely low latency.
You can follow our channel at Beam.pro/WindowsCentral. From there, you'll be able to watch the stream and participate in chat directly from any web browser, including the Xbox One and Windows Phone browsers.
To receive email notifications when our Beam streams go live:
- First, follow our channel.
- Now select your profile from the top-right corner of the screen.
- Pick the Account option near the bottom of the menu.
- Go to the Notifications tab.
- Make sure Send me important email updates on the Beam platform is enabled. This option is labeled deceptively, but it's required for all forms of email notifications.
- Click or tap the Email box next to our channel name until a check appears. That's it!
- We highly recommend that you set a recurring alarm on your phone. Our weekend stream always starts at the same time (9pm Eastern/6pm Pacific), so the phone reminder can be very helpful.
Beam does not offer Xbox One or Windows Phone apps yet, so watching from the browser is the only option on Microsoft platforms. But Beam does offer apps on Android and iOS. Yes, that's a strange inequity. Native Xbox and Windows 10 support is coming though, so stick with us!
Want to know what's next for Windows Central's weekend Beam programming? We stream a different game every Saturday (and sometimes Sunday). The stream always starts at the same time: 9pm Eastern (8pm Central, 6pm Pacific, 2am GMT). Over the next few weeks, we'll be streaming the following (schedule not finalized):
- January 14: Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. Watch us play this 2-player cooperative space adventure and maybe win a copy of your own!
- January 21: Rare Replay. We'll check out some favorite games from this Xbox-exclusive classic games collection and give out a bunch of copies of it too!
- January 28: Paul will be out of town at PAX South.
- February 4: Mega Man Legacy Collection from Capcom. Watch us play this collection of classic NES platformers and enter for a chance to win it on Xbox One and Steam!
We hope you'll tune in as often as you can! Set a recurring alarm on your phone so you'll always know when it's time for the stream to start.
These winners are heading on a quest. We'll see them when they return.
Quest of Dungeons Xbox One
Quest of Dungeons Steam
Tonight's prizes provided by Upfall Studios. Thanks also to our stream moderators for keeping the peace and giving away the prizes!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.