What you need to know
- Dell, HP, and Acer shared pages and tools to help people know if their PCs will be able to upgrade to Windows 11.
- Microsoft has a PC Health Check app that can let you know if a PC can upgrade to the new OS.
- Generally speaking, new PCs from Dell, HP, and Acer can upgrade, but it's worth checking your specific configuration.
Microsoft announced Windows 11 yesterday. Following the announcement, people have rushed to check if their PCs will be able to upgrade to the new operating system. Major manufacturers, including Dell, HP, and Acer, have shared tools and resources to help people know if they can upgrade to Windows 11.
Regardless of which manufacturer makes your PC, you can check to see if your system meets the minimum requirements for Windows 11. Microsoft has a page breaking down the requirements and a PC Health Check app that can tell you if your PC will be able to upgrade to Windows 11.
Dell has a lengthy FAQ page for Windows 11. It answers questions such as "I want to buy a PC now, will I be able to install Windows 11 later?" and "How do I know if a new Windows 10 PC I'm considering meets the minimum requirements?"
Dell also has an extensive list of Dell computers testing for an upgrade to Windows 11. There are well over 100 devices listed, so we'll direct you to the company's page for the complete list.
The list includes devices from the following categories:
- Alienware Desktop
- Alienware Laptop
- G-Series Desktop
- G-Series Laptop
- Inspiron Desktop
- Inspiron Laptop
- XPS Desktop
- XPS Laptop
- Vostro Desktop
- Vostro Laptop
- Precision Workstation
- Mobile Precision
When it comes to new PCs, it's straightforward with Dell. Every PC running Windows 10 that's sold through Dell's website going forward will be able to upgrade to the new operating system.
Dell explains (emphasis added):
HP also has an FAQ page about Windows 11. The page explains that HP devices need to run the most current version of Windows 10 and meet the minimum hardware specifications of Windows 11 to run the new operating system.
HP also shares a list of some of its devices that will be able to upgrade to Windows 11:
- Currently shipping HP Spectre, HP ENVY, and HP Pavilion portfolios, including the HP Spectre x360 14, HP ENVY x360 15, and the HP Pavilion All-in-One.
- The new OMEN and Victus by HP portfolios, including the OMEN 16, Victus by HP 16, and the OMEN 30L Desktop.
- Select SKUs from the HP Elite and HP Pro portfolios, including the HP Elite Dragonfly G2.
- Currently shipping Z by HP workstations, including the HP ZBook Studio G8.
HP's phrasing does not imply that this is a comprehensive list, so it's worth using the PC Health Check app to see if your PC can upgrade.
Acer doesn't have a comprehensive list of devices that will be able to upgrade to Windows 11 at this time. Instead, the company explains that "the vast majority of [its] products on the market, including those announced in the past three years, are eligible for the free upgrade as soon as it becomes available."
The company also has a page with more information about Windows 11.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Sean Endicott brings nearly a decade of experience covering Microsoft and Windows news to Windows Central. He joined our team in 2017 as an app reviewer and now heads up our day-to-day news coverage. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at email@example.com.