A ROM update has been released for the Samsung Saga on Verizon, and it might just have a little gem in it for which we've been waiting quite a while. First, the fine points of the upgrade:
- The Latest Microsoft AKU Update 1.5.1.
- Enhanced zoom for Internet Explorer
- Slight UI Modifications.
- Various additional improvements to improve handset function.
- Open Standalone LBS Supported & Performance Enhanced. (This may Support 3rd Party Applications)
- MMS Over GPRS Supported. (GSM Mode)
- Softswitch For GSM (Allows handset to select correct network overseas)
- Multiple Qualcomm Patches Applied To Improve Phone Performance.
- VZ Access Manager Supports Bluetooth Connection (SPP).
Notice the fifth item there? LBS, of course, is location-based services. That could be cell-tower triangulation, or, GPS! So, that'd unlock two of the three phones that Verizon promised to unshackle in the first half of the year, with the other being the HTC Touch Pro. We've got a week left. Will we see the Omnia get an official update soon?
Go here to get the upgrade, and make sure you follow Samsung's overly complicated upgrade process.
Thanks, again, to cplush for the tip!