Every weekend, Windows Central livestreams an Xbox One or Steam game for 1-2 hours and gives out free games to the cool people who join us during the stream. It's like a live podcast, only you also get to watch a game while chatting with our awesome readers and viewers!
Tonight on Beam, we played Watch Dogs 2, the critically acclaimed sandbox action/stealth game from Ubisoft. We hacked a lot of devices, and maybe a few innocent lives were lost along the way. Read on for quick impressions, contest winners, and the full video replay!
Watch Dogs 2
After the first Watch Dogs met mixed reactions, Ubisoft took the feedback to heart and came back swinging with Watch Dogs 2. The sequel takes place in a futuristic version of San Francisco and follows a new set of characters, so you don't need to have played its predecessor.
Watch Dogs 2 is an action/stealth game with an emphasis on hacking machines and objects to solve puzzles. You can take over any security camera, force doors to open or lock, short out machines to incapacitate foes, and much more. Combat options consist of melee attacks and takedowns, stun guns, and other weapons. Although you'll want to avoid combat when possible, your hacker can take care of himself.
Watch Dogs 2 has been praised for its interesting story and lovable characters, lighthearted tone, amusing NPCs, inventive multiplayer features, improved driving and exploration, and more. IF you're looking for a slick sandbox-style action game, look no further than Watch Dogs 2.
We streamed Watch Dogs 2 for ~90 minutes. During that time, we gave out a total of 6 prize codes:
- 6 $10 Xbox gift cards (Must be redeemed on US accounts, can be used for Windows Store purchases)
See the contest winners at the end of this story.
How to watch Beam livestreams
We're now streaming on Beam, Microsoft's interactive livestreaming platform. It provides some welcome improvements over Twitch, such as a cleaner website layout, built-in stream interactivity, and extremely low latency.
You can follow our channel at Beam.pro/WindowsCentral. From there, you'll be able to watch the stream and participate in chat directly from any web browser, including the Xbox One and Windows Phone browsers.
To receive email notifications when our Beam streams go live:
- First, follow our channel.
- Now select your profile from the top-right corner of the screen.
- Pick the Account option near the bottom of the menu.
- Go to the Notifications tab.
- Make sure Send me important email updates on the Beam platform is enabled. This option is labeled deceptively, but it's required for all forms of email notifications.
- Click or tap the Email box next to our channel name until a check appears. That's it!
- We highly recommend that you set a recurring alarm on your phone. Our weekend stream always starts at the same time (9pm Eastern/6pm Pacific), so the phone reminder can be very helpful.
Beam does not offer Xbox One or Windows Phone apps yet, so watching from the browser is the only option on Microsoft platforms. But Beam does offer apps on Android and iOS. Yes, that's a strange inequity. Native Xbox and Windows 10 support is coming though, so stick with us!
Want to know what's next for Windows Central's weekend Beam programming? We stream a different game every Saturday (and sometimes Sunday). The stream always starts at the same time: 9pm Eastern (8pm Central, 6pm Pacific, 2am GMT). Over the next few weeks, we'll be streaming the following (schedule not finalized):
- December 3: Warhammer: Vermintide, the amazing Left 4 Dead-style co-op game. Win a copy for Xbox, PlayStation 4, or Steam!
- December 10: Dead Rising 4. Watch us battle zombies in this fresh Xbox and Windows 10 exclusive that launches on December 6th. Win an Xbox gift card!
- December 17: Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2. Watch us team up in this family-friendly third-person shooter and you could win the game for Xbox, PlayStation 4, or PC!
- December 24: Jackbox Party Pack 3. Join us for this special holiday party stream. Everyone can play along without owning the game, and we'll have extra prizes to give away!
- December 31: Little Acre, the beautiful adventure game coming to Xbox, PlayStation, and PC in December. Win a copy of your own!
We hope you'll tune in as often as you can! Set a recurring alarm on your phone so you'll always know when it's time for the stream to start.
These winners are going to watch ALL the dogs!
Tonight's prizes provided by Mobile Nations. Thanks also to our stream moderators for keeping the peace and giving away the prizes!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Review: NASCAR Heat 5 is still the complete package for fans
It's not long since NASCAR Heat 4 arrived, or at least, that's how it seems, with the new title arriving much earlier in the year than its predecessor. It's got some shiny new paint jobs and some neat new features, but many would be hard pressed to tell it apart from last year's game.
Join us for the latest Windows Central Video Podcast
We're live with the Windows Central Video Podcast today at 2:30pm ET, make sure you're there!
Some Surface devices are still blocked from Windows 10 May 2020 Update
Despite removing a safeguarding block last week, Microsoft is still blocking several Surface devices from receiving the Windows 10 May 2020 Update. Microsoft has not specified what issues cause the current set of blocks.
Streaming on Twitch? These are the best microphones in 2020
Are you new to streaming or a pro looking for a replacement? No matter your experience level there is a perfect microphone for you and these are some of the best.