Windows 10 preview build 17107 now available for Insiders in the Fast ring
Build 17107 is now rolling out to Fast ring Insiders with a small handful of fixes.
Microsoft has started rolling out a new Windows 10 preview build for Insiders in the Fast ring today, pushing the build number up to 17107. Unlike recent builds, 17107 doesn't contain a massive list of new features. However, it does bring a new method for PCs to handle updates when connected to AC power. Likewise, there are also quite a few general fixes and improvements in this build.
Windows Update Improvements
- Keeping PCs Up-to-date: In an effort to prevent PCs from becoming out of date, we are introducing a change in behavior to Windows Update that is designed to be more proactive at keeping PCs updated. In RS4, now when Windows Update scans, downloads, and installs on a PC with AC power – it will prevent the PC from going to sleep when it is not in active use, for up to 2 hours when receiving an update in order to give Windows Update more opportunity to succeed. If you are not seeing this new behavior, let us know by sending in feedback via Feedback Hub.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- We fixed an issue where Settings would crash when you tried to open Themes.
- We fixed an issue where the Settings tile didn't have a name if you pinned it to Start.
- We've updated About Settings to include at a glance entries for the two new Windows Defender pillars (Account Protection and Device Security).
- We fixed a typo in Storage Sense Settings.
- We fixed an issue resulting in all dropdowns in Settings appearing blank until clicked.
- We fixed an issue that could result in Settings crashing after having navigated to and left Sound Settings.
- We fixed an issue where closing certain apps after using in-app search could result in them hanging on the splash screen the next time they were launched.
- We fixed an issue where plugging in an external optical drive (DVD) will cause an Explorer.exe crash.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the hamburger button in Windows Defender overlapping the home button.
- We fixed an issue where certain games using Easy Anti Cheat could result in the system experiencing a bugcheck (KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED).
- We fixed an issue where we had observed seeing longer-than-normal delays during install at the 88% mark. Some delays were as long as 90 minutes before moving forward.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the Windows Defender offline scan not working in recent builds.
- Some Insiders may have noticed a new message when holding down the power button which says "Please release the power button. We just need a few more seconds to shut down". This is an Insider-only feature that gathers additional diagnostic data for situations where holding down the power button was used to recover an unresponsive or nonfunctional system. It is important to note that holding down the power button is not the appropriate way to shutdown/reboot a system that is functioning properly. See this support page (opens in new tab) for additional information on how to properly shutdown your PC.
That covers the changes present in build 17107. For more, you can view the full release notes at Microsoft for a list of known issues.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Dan Thorp-Lancaster is the former Editor-in-Chief of Windows Central. He began working with Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore as a news writer in 2014 and is obsessed with tech of all sorts. You can follow Dan on Twitter @DthorpL and Instagram @heyitsdtl.
I'm hoping it also fixes the consistent GSOD I get when I try to use the Mixed Reality Portal after 17101 installed.
Had the same on 17101, but there was a separate update for WMR today which may have fixed it. (ended with 17105)
seems faster. Really.
Bug fixing again, I feel these updates are lacking features these days, I must say though OS looks cleaner than fall update
They should be because they are now in the phase of bug fixing to prepare for RTM.
Nothing happening on my PC in UK?
if your in skip ahead ring there is no build today
I got it in UK
By Jez Corden