Microsoft debuts its Xbox Series X and Series S consoles with Smart Delivery free upgrades, a program designed to ease the transition from the Xbox One family, into the next generation. Supported titles feature free visual bumps across consoles, removing the need to purchase your games twice. And while confirmed for just a fraction of the Xbox Series X and Series S Optimized games so far, the proposal is guaranteed to help your gaming budget. Here's what you need to know about Smart Delivery compatible titles.
What is Smart Delivery for Xbox Series X, Series S?
The Xbox Series X and Series S represent a generational leap for Microsoft's home console family, distanced from the Xbox One with its hardware upgrades under the hood. However, unlike consoles of the past, the upcoming transition doesn't mean a hard cut-off. Game publishers look to release many upcoming titles across Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and Xbox One lineup, with Microsoft making free upgrades easy through a technology dubbed Smart Delivery.
In short, Smart Delivery enables free upgrades between Xbox One, Xbox Series S, and Xbox Series X, preventing the need to purchase games more than once. The initiative works in all directions, with the purchase of Smart Delivery titles granting licenses for all compatible Xbox consoles. It also ensures the best available version of the game automatically downloads to your Xbox, in line with the capabilities of the base Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, and Xbox Series X.
But Smart Delivery isn't available for every Xbox Series X game, with a handful of titles opting for the program instead. Many titles already pledge support, providing a growing lineup you can purchase worry-free today, with an Xbox Series X or Series S version waiting ahead. The current list is ideal for budgeting around the next-generation consoles, providing a reliable measure for long-term investment beyond launch.
List of games with Xbox Smart Delivery support
With a growing crowd of upcoming Xbox Series X games promising Smart Delivery, this list wraps up those confirmed via Microsoft and third-party developers. While not all Xbox Series X games opt into Smart Delivery, Microsoft has committed to supporting all cross-generation titles under Xbox Game Studios, accompanied by various third-party partners. Once next-generation upgrades are made available, existing owners will receive the best available version at no extra cost.
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla
- Balan Wonderworld
- Borderlands 3
- Bright Memory: Infinite
- Call of the Sea
- Chorus: Rise as One
- Cuisine Royale
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Dead by Daylight
- Destiny 2
- DiRT 5
- Echo Generation
- Far Cry 6
- Football Manager 2021 Xbox Edition
- Forza Horizon 4
- Gears 5
- Gears Tactics
- Halo Infinite
- Hello Neighbor 2
- HITMAN 3
- Immortals Fenyx Rising
- Just Dance 2021
- King Oddball
- Manifold Garden
- Marvel's Avengers
- Metal: Hellsinger
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps
- Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis
- Planet Coaster
- Psychonauts 2
- Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
- RIDE 4
- Riders Republic
- Scarlet Nexus
- Sea of Thieves
- Second Extinction
- Tetris Effect: Connected
- The Ascent
- The Falconeer
- The Gunk
- The Outer Worlds
- The Touryst
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
- Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2
- War Thunder
- Watch Dogs: Legion
- World of Tanks
- World of Warships: Legends
- WRC 9 FIA World Rally Championship
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon
- Yes, Your Grace
Purchasing these games on Xbox One today will translate forward to your Xbox Series X when you decide to buy. Existing titles will see Smart Delivery benefits applied to all current and future users, while upcoming games will have similar perks from launch.
Other free Xbox Series X upgrades available
While Smart Delivery aims to provide seamless upgrades between Xbox One and Xbox Series X, third parties have already explored alternatives. Microsoft's implementation offers one standardized system for buyers, automatically bridging the platforms via Xbox Live for digital, and using the same disc for physical.
With alternative third-party solutions, developers can transition gamers on their terms, without the strict guidelines of Smart Delivery. Below follows a rolling list of the current offers and how their respective upgrades function.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War: While this cross-generation Call of Duty entry provides a simple upgrade path from Xbox One to Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S, it only comes with a dedicated "Cross-Gen Bundle," available for a $10 premium. It's not technically a free upgrade but showcases one of the sole departures from Smart Delivery.
- Control: Remedy Entertainment brings its world-bending shooter to Xbox Series X and Series S, but with a free upgrade only available to those with the Ultimate Edition. Those who own Control or any associated DLC will need to re-purchase the game to experience the next-generation upgrade.
- FIFA 21: We also see Electronic Arts distancing itself from Smart Delivery with FIFA 21, scheduled to receive a cross-generation release. A limited-time promotion applies, requiring players to manually claim their next-generation copy on Xbox Series X before the release of the next FIFA entry in 2021.
- Madden NFL 21: Electronic Arts promises upgrades for its latest in the defining football series, but breaks away from Smart Delivery with its own limited-time offer. The deal only lasts a few months, requiring players to purchase Madden NFL 21 on Xbox One and upgrade to an Xbox Series X copy before Madden 22.
- NBA 2K21: 2K Games limits cross-generation NBA 2K21 upgrades to the Mamba Forever Edition, packing various in-game bonuses, retailing for $100.
Assuming further titles will break away from Smart Delivery, we'll keep tabs on free upgrade opportunities over the months ahead.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.