What you need to know
- Amazon has a new Prime Video app available for Windows 10.
- The app brings Amazons streaming service to a dedicated PC app, meaning you won't have to watch in your browser.
- The app is now allowing users to log in and stream.
Just over a week ago, the new app for Amazon Prime Video on Windows 10 went live in the Microsoft Store. The app appeared to have still been in private testing, however, as logins did not work.
That's all fixed with 18.104.22.168-Release, which is now live and working.
Amazon Prime Video rivals Hulu, Netflix, and HBO Max for online streaming and movie playback. Like those other content providers, Amazon has been aggressively building its own original content to lure new subscribers to the service.
The brand-new app, a UWP one, is simple but quite functional, allowing users to control the download quality for offline video playback, making it perfect for those road trips. Features include:
- Download videos to watch offline - anywhere, anytime.
- Rent or buy thousands of titles including new release movies, popular TV shows, and more (not available in all countries/regions).
- With Prime Video Channels, Prime members can subscribe to more than 150 premium and specialty channels like HBO, SHOWTIME, STARZ, and Cinemax. Only pay for the channels you want, no cable required, cancel anytime (not available in all countries/regions).
- With X-Ray, view IMDb information about the actors, songs, and trivia for videos as you stream.
Under Settings, users can pick between good, better, and best for offline video support, with best requiring 2.4GB of space per hour of media.
For those with Movies Anywhere (U.S.) or have purchased movies from Amazon, you can also watch your entire catalog. Users can also easily rent new movies to watch on their computers or other Amazon Prime-enabled devices.
On our initial test, video playback quality looked decent, but it was not quite Netflix-level. Still, we are not complaining, as any support for Windows 10 PCs is welcomed for these services. Hopefully, HBO and Disney will follow.
Thanks, Chris W., for the tip!
Jack Ryan on your Surface
Amazon Prime Video for Windows 10 lets users access their Prime Video content, including previously purchased movies and TV shows. Users can also rent new movies, browse, search, playback, and download videos for offline viewing.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
The Black Friday keyboard deals you need to know about
Getting your hands on a new keyboard is exciting for PC users, and thanks to Black Friday, it's more affordable than ever before. Here's a look at the best Black Friday keyboard deals available now.
Best Wireless Headsets for Xbox Series X, Series S 2020
Next-gen consoles need next-gen wireless. Here are our picks for the best wireless headsets for Xbox Series X and Series S.
Here's what to expect from Windows 10 in 2021
The year is almost over, so it’s time to look ahead to 2021 and see what we can expect from Windows in 2021. Windows 10 has taken somewhat of a backseat when it comes to major features or OS changes in the last couple of years, but that appears to be about to change as Microsoft aims to refocus on the OS in big ways next year.
These are the best PC sticks for when you're on the move
Instant computer, just add a screen! That’s the general idea of the ultra-portable PC Compute Sticks, but it can be hard to know which one you want. Relax, we’ve got you covered.