In a surprise announcement, Nokia and AT&T have pushed out the Lumia Black update and new OS patch (Windows Phone 8 Update 3) for the Lumia 1020. In addition, there is a new firmware release for the Lumia 1520.
The updates are now live and going out to both devices. Here are the changes:
Nokia Lumia 1020 Lumia Black (3051.40000.134x.00xx)
- Daily delighters: lock the screen rotation, close apps easily in the app switcher, use custom ringtones for messaging and mail, among other things
- Update to Nokia Camera that combines Nokia Smart Camera and Nokia Pro Camera. Available from the Store app.
- Get the latest version of Nokia Glance Screen – see quick status notifications, for example, about calendar and messaging events on the lock screen.
- Bluetooth 4.0 LE – preserve energy while staying connected via Bluetooth
- Get enriched camera performance, enhanced battery monitoring, and other stability and usability improvements
- NEW: OS build 10517
Likewise, the Lumia 1520 also received a new firmware package today.
Nokia Lumia 1520 (1028.3534.1347.2001)
- General performance and usability improvements
To get the update, dive into Settings > Phone Update > Check for Updates. You will need to be on a Wi-Fi connection to download.
These updates are only for US AT&T devices. There is no indication that these updates are going global at the moment.
Update 4 PM ET: Read our follow up article detailing all the changes on the Lumia 1020!
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Daniel Rubino is the Editor-in-chief of Windows Central, head reviewer, podcast co-host, and analyst. He has been covering Microsoft since 2007 when this site was called WMExperts (and later Windows Phone Central). His interests include Windows, laptops, next-gen computing, and for some reason, watches. Before all this tech stuff, he worked on a Ph.D. in linguistics, watched people sleep (for medical purposes!), and ran the projectors at movie theaters because it was fun.