CBeebies (www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/) is a popular kids brand used by the British Broadcasting Corporation that specialises in airing shows and media for the younger audience. Should you be taking full advantage of Kid's Corner in Windows Phone 8, you'll love the latest game to hit the store - CBeebies Playtime. Perfect for the little ones, Playtime enables them to enjoy light-hearted content while on the go. There's also a secret area for grown-ups too.
So what games are included in this new app from the BBC? The Octonauts, Tree Fu Tom, Mr Tumble and the Alphablocks will provide entertainment to up to four children (each one with his or her own profile). When launching the app, you'll want to create a hot air balloon for each child to journey into the CBeebies world. The UI is easy to use and will be perfect for kids to pick up.
When playing through the titles available, awards can be earned by the children. These include the CBeebies bugs who are playing hide and seek (three bugs per game). The games themselves sport simple, yet intuitive gameplay tailored for children. The titles each have their own gametype and skill training, from spelling to listening and learning.
Here's the feature list:
- Creating Profiles: add your child’s name
- Rewards and Achievements: fun, energetic and bouncy interaction with the CBeebies bugs
- Learning benefits: engaging and entertaining games that develop children’s reading and writing skills with the Alphablocks, listening and observation skills with the Octonauts, movement development with Tree Fu Tom as well as having fun and developing confidence for all children, including those with special needs with Mr Tumble and his friends
- Special Message: Surprise your child with a special message from a CBeebies Presenter or record a personal message from you, using the voice recorder
- Parents tips and links to useful information from CBeebies Grown Ups
- Link to more free, fun games to enjoy from CBeebies on your mobile and tablet
- Keypad lock for any external links
Once you're in, you can press+hold the grown-ups button to gain access to a settings area. Grown-up tips are listed within, as well as information on how the CBeebies Playtime app will not only provide entertainment for the little ones, but also the associated learning values. A special message can be left to surprise the child or reward them for good behaviour. It's definitely worth checking out and installing on your (or your child's) Windows Phone.
Is this a sign that the BBC is looking at Windows Phone? Possibly. You can download CBeebies Playtime from the Windows Phone Store for free. Note that the app may be region restricted.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Rich Edmonds was formerly a Senior Editor of PC hardware at Windows Central, covering everything related to PC components and NAS. He's been involved in technology for more than a decade and knows a thing or two about the magic inside a PC chassis. You can follow him on Twitter at @RichEdmonds.