What you need to know
- The Microsoft Bing Search app has been overhauled on Android.
- The app now features a new look that includes a new personalized homepage.
- Microsoft Bing Search's new experience emphasizes elements of the app other than just searching the web.
The Microsoft Bing Search app on Android has a new look that emphasizes it's not just about searching the web. Microsoft has tried to convince people its Bing app is about more than search for quite some time, but the updated experience of the app takes it a step further. The app now has a personalized homepage that shows topics you follow and shortcuts to other Microsoft features.
Of course, the Microsoft Bing Search app still allows you to search the web. Even on the updated homepage, a search bar is front and center. You can enter a URL or search term into that bar to quickly jump around the internet. The search bar also has a camera feature that also works with QR codes. Additionally, the app supports searching with an image or with your voice.
The app's Google Play Store listing highlights its new features:
- New homepage: See top news, stay updated on topics you're following, and get quick access to Microsoft features
- Search: Get the same trusted search results and more
- COVID Tracker: Monitor the latest case numbers, trends, news, and vaccine info
- Weather: See the forecast for today and the week ahead
- Visual Search: Search right from your camera or by uploading a picture
- Sports: Track scores, standings, news, and more
- Rewards*: Earn points toward free gift cards and more
- Wallpaper: Pick from a collection of beautiful images featured on the Bing homepage
- Voice search: Tap the mic icon and use your voice to search
- Video and images: Search and browse visual media across the web
- Translator: Get quick translations in more than 70 languages
- Unit converter: An easy-to-use tool that converts in 18 different unit categories
- Shopping**: Find great deals and coupons for retailers
- Math: Enter math problems and get step-by-step solutions
- Esports: Watch livestreams, get the latest news, and more
- Games: Find Sudoku, matching tiles, quizzes, and other quick distractions
The Microsoft Bing Search app is a bit more like a hub for several Microsoft-made tools now. It has built-in Translator functionality, news, a math tool, and a unit converter.
Sean Endicott is the news writer for Windows Central. If it runs Windows, is made by Microsoft, or has anything to do with either, he's on it. Sean's been with Windows Central since 2017 and is also our resident app expert. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can you disable the news on the homepage? You couldn't as far as I could tell the last time I tried it which pushed me to uninstall it.
Curious, why would someone use this vs Edge browser and vice versa?
The only reason is because you can get ms rewards for doing some searches each day. Only they made the experience doing the daily searches somewhat worse..
The same reason why some people use Google app and Chrome browser in their mobile. For news feed, image and voice search I guess. Never understood those people. Also, MS puts all these features into Microsoft launcher feed, I don't know why they repeat the same thing everywhere and kill them later.
I don't understand why this version of Bing is different from the Microsoft edge version of Bing ????
I don't think there is much of a difference, but it could just be as simple as providing options. I use Bing as my search engine in Edge. So, still get my points.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.