Astroneer is a space exploration and crafting game, which takes players into a universe of procedurally generated planets. Players can reshape terrain, mine for materials, hunt alien plants for research, and build base modules to expand their crafting and exploration capabilities. It also supports Xbox Play Anywhere, syncing progress across Windows 10 and Xbox One with a single purchase.
As cool as Astroneer is, it's quite buggy. But a patch rolling out to Xbox One and Windows 10 should improve the experience immeasurably.
Here's what budding space explorers can expect from this week's Astroneer patch as detailed on the game's forums, which could take up to December 24th to roll out fully to Xbox One and Windows 10.
DECEMBER 22nd, 2016 - 0.2.10109.0. - XBOX ONE/WINDOWS 10 STORE
- Fix deadlock causing freezes on many people's machines, especially those with dual core CPUs.
- Fix 10 different crash issues affecting save reloads, multiplayer joins, and general gameplay.
- Decrease performance impact of distant objects.
- Fix certain performance problems that appear after loading a save.
- Optimize tether networks to significantly improve framerate performance.
- Tethers now go dark when disconnected from their sources.
- Fix invert Y for gamepad applying to cursor motion.
- Controls screen accessed from pause menu now correctly displays controller buttons when using a controller.
- Fix host's gamepad cursor becoming bugged when a client joins.
- Fix ability to pick yourself up while in a seat, and being unable to leave the seat.
- Fix bug where after loading a save, unplaced dropships would freak out.
- Add ability to enter seat even when it's detached from a vehicle.
- Add ability to sit in a dropship while mounted on a vehicle.
The Windows 10 and Xbox version of Astroneer is slightly behind the Steam version, which also picked up a bug fix patch this week for several gameplay-breaking issues. We should see those changes on Microsoft platforms soon.
Either way, Astroneer should now perform much better with these latest fixes on Windows 10 and Xbox One, particularly with improvements landing for tether placements. If you're interested in trying out the Astroneer, take a look at our guide below!
Update 4: Trump gives blessing to TikTok sale to Microsoft
TikTok may soon be owned by Microsoft. The company is reportedly in talks to buy out the U.S. portion of TikTok amid a rumored Trump administration order for TikTok owner Bytedance to divest. On Monday, President Trump says he does not oppose the sale so long as it is done by September 15.
We compare the Lenovo Legion 5i 15 with the ASUS TUF Gaming A15
Shopping for a new gaming laptop that hits mid-range performance and costs around $1,000? Check out how the Lenovo's Legion 5i 15 compares to the ASUS TUF Gaming A15.
Edge Canary is taking tabs vertical for some users
Microsoft has started testing its new vertical tab interface with at least some Edge Canary testers. This appears to be part of an A/B test, so it's not available to everyone at the moment.
Complete list of Xbox One Dolby Atmos games
Dolby Atmos creates a realistic, immersive soundscape, but is not featured in every game. These are all Xbox One games with baked-in Dolby Atmos support so far.