Good news for those of you are who racing fans as Gameloft’s Asphalt 8: Airborne is now available for Windows Phone 8 devices. The bad news is it’s a massive 819 MB to download, meaning you’ll need even more to install. The worse news is the game is not an Xbox Live title, as Gameloft has evidently decided to eschew Microsoft’s rigorous certification.
The upside to being a non-Xbox Live title is that Gameloft can update and tweak the game as often as they want, and presumably they will. The other upside is this massive racer only costs $0.99 and yes, there is a free trial as well.
So what is Asphalt 8: Airborne? It’s a relatively new title to the Asphalt series, only launching on Android and iOS back in August. While that’s a three month delay between those platforms and Windows Phone, that is considerably less time that previous games, especially for Gameloft. Of course it did just drop in price to free on Android, but hey, we’ll take what we can get.
The game is fueled by a new graphics engine and features airborne stunt moves, bringing a new twist to the series. Indeed, as can be seen from the teaser trailer above, the graphics are nothing short of stunning. Other than that, the game packs a huge amount of gameplay, locations and cars.
LUXURY DREAM CARS
- 47 high-performance cars (80% of them NEW!)
- Top licensed manufacturers like Lamborghini & Ferrari
- Newly recorded high-fidelity car motor sounds for realistic audio immersion
- Hit the ramps and take the race above
- Perform barrel rolls and wild 360º jumps
- Maneuver through the air, pulling stunts while racing
NEW EXOTIC LOCATIONS
- Race in 9 different settings like Venice, Guiana & the Nevada Desert!
- Discover plenty of hidden shortcuts
NEW FEATURES FOR SPEED FREAKS
- 8 seasons & 180 events in Career mode
- A detailed damage system
- Check out the new Infected and Drift Gate game modes
SIMULTANEOUS MULTIPLAYER & GHOST CHALLENGES
- Simultaneous multiplayer action for up to 8 real opponents!
- Dare friends to asynchronous races
- New leaderboards
MUSIC TO REV YOUR SOUL
- A heart-thumping mix of amazing licensed music for your game
- Featuring real tracks from Bloc Party, Mutemath & The Crystal Method!
Maybe they’re just hyping their own game a bit, but to our eyes that seems like quite the game, especially for $1.
We’re still downloading the massive game, as 819 MB can take some time even or Wi-Fi, so we can’t give any first impressions—we’ll leave those until later. For now, you can head to the Store here and download Asphalt 8: Airborne. 99 cents, free trial Windows Phone 8 only.
Thanks, Jason D., for the tip!