Astroneer launched in Xbox Game Preview many months ago, and has since received a steady stream of updates. While many of them have introduced important features, yesterday's Update 0.9.0 has to be one of the most significant ones.
Update 0.9.0 contains a new gameplay mechanic and module, as well as tons of new elements to discover while exploring planets. You can read about the main changes below. There are also a number of bug and crash fixes in this update.
- Players can now find new types of discoveries while exploring. From small crashed ships to abandoned outposts, these discoveries await you on the surface of all planets across the solar system.
- The "Small Shredder" and "Medium Shredder" have been added to the game. Shredding is a new gameplay mechanic that allows players to create "Scrap", a new resource. The trade platform has been updated to be the primary source of trading for Scrap.
- "Power" and "Oxygen" indicators have been changed to icons and notification tags.
- "Harvestables" now appear on "Radiated", "Arid", and cave areas.
- All "Rovers" now have tighter turn radii.
The developer promised more changes in the future. Astroneer is a good game so far, but needs a lot of work. Hopefully it will continue to improve in the coming months as we approach a proper release.
Keep an eye on WindowsCentral.com/Gaming for all the latest in Xbox and Windows 10 gaming, accessories, news, and reviews!
Asher Madan handles gaming news for Windows Central. Before joining Windows Central in 2017, Asher worked for a number of different gaming outlets. He has a background in medical science and is passionate about all forms of entertainment, cooking, and antiquing.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.