Astroneer launched in Xbox Game Preview many months ago, and has since received a steady stream of updates. While many of them have introduced important features, yesterday's Update 0.9.0 has to be one of the most significant ones.
Update 0.9.0 contains a new gameplay mechanic and module, as well as tons of new elements to discover while exploring planets. You can read about the main changes below. There are also a number of bug and crash fixes in this update.
- Players can now find new types of discoveries while exploring. From small crashed ships to abandoned outposts, these discoveries await you on the surface of all planets across the solar system.
- The "Small Shredder" and "Medium Shredder" have been added to the game. Shredding is a new gameplay mechanic that allows players to create "Scrap", a new resource. The trade platform has been updated to be the primary source of trading for Scrap.
- "Power" and "Oxygen" indicators have been changed to icons and notification tags.
- "Harvestables" now appear on "Radiated", "Arid", and cave areas.
- All "Rovers" now have tighter turn radii.
The developer promised more changes in the future. Astroneer is a good game so far, but needs a lot of work. Hopefully it will continue to improve in the coming months as we approach a proper release.
Keep an eye on WindowsCentral.com/Gaming for all the latest in Xbox and Windows 10 gaming, accessories, news, and reviews!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Join us for the latest Windows Central Video Podcast
We're live with the Windows Central Video Podcast today at 2:30pm ET, make sure you're there!
Review: Kensington's SD5500T dock works with USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 PCs
The SD5500T docking station is compatible with USB-C and Thunderbolt 3, opening it up to use with more devices. It's similar to some other great docks out there, so how does it measure up?
How to play Minecraft Dungeons Beta
How to get started with Minecraft Dungeons early via the ongoing beta, with all the details and release dates you need to know.
Get these great Xbox gaming headsets for under $100
Do you fancy a new Xbox One headset? Do you fancy not spending more than $100? Let us help!