Berlin, Germany – Microsoft this morning announced the Lumia 830, a new Windows Phone with a high-end camera that's being marketed as "the affordable flagship." This new phone combines the best of Lumia with the latest from Microsoft. You'll get a 10 MP PureView camera with Zeiss optics, integrated wireless charging, and more with the Lumia 830. Look for the Lumia 830 to begin rolling out globally this month and with a price around €330 ($433 USD) before taxes and subsidies.
The Lumia 830 is the follow up to the Lumia 820, which featured a polycarbonate-body, swappable rear shells, 8.7 MP rear camera with ZEISS optics, and a 4.3-inch display with a resolution of 800 x 480. The Lumia 820 was a high-end smartphone for the time but was able to remain affordable. Microsoft is hoping to bottle those characteristics into the Lumia 830 – an affordable smartphone, with enough features in the high-end to satisfy consumers.
Microsoft addressed some of the bigger shortcomings of the Lumia 820 with the new Lumia 830. You'll find a vastly better camera, a higher resolution display, improved processor and more.
Lumia 830 Specifications
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update with Lumia Denim
- LTE RoW: GSM 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz; WCDMA: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1900 MHz, 2100 MHz; LTE: 1, 3, 7, 8, 20; Data Speed – Upload (Max) GSM: EGPRS/236.8 kbps; WCDMA: HSUPA/5.76 Mbps; LTE: 50 Mbps; Data Speed – Downlink (Max): GSM: EGPRS/236.8 kbps; WCDMA: HSDPA/42.2 Mbps; LTE: 150 Mbps.
- Memory: 1GB RAM, 16 GB internal user memory; 15 GB OneDrive cloud storage, micro SD expandable up to 128 GB
- Display: 5.0-inch ClearBlack IPS HD (1280 x 720) display, Corning Gorilla Glass 3, Curved Glass (2.25D), Lumia color profile, wide viewing angle,
- Processor: 1.2 GHz quad-core processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 400
- Main camera: 10 MP PureView with ZEISS optics and optical image stabilization (OIS), Video recording at 1080p 30 fps (Full HD), Rich recording
- Secondary camera: 1 MP, 720p video Nokia Camera, Nokia Storyteller, Nokia Creative Studio
- Size: 139.4 x 70.7 x 8.5 (volumetric) mm, Weight: 150 g
- Connectivity: USB 2.0, BT 4.0, WLAN IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n, AGPS and GLONASS, 3.5 mm audio connector
- Battery: Removable 2220 mAh battery, exchangeable shell
- Audio: 3 high-performance microphones, Nokia Rich Recording with surround sound capture (Dolby 5.1), Uplink noise cancellation for calls, 3.5 mm AV connector
You'll find plenty of impressive additions in the Lumia 830 with this 2014 update, including a speedier processor battery, higher resolution display, removable battery and a PureView camera.
The design of the Lumia 830 is similar to that of the Lumia 930, but it is thinner and lighter. The Lumia 930 is 9.8 mm thin, while the Lumia 830 comes in a little slimmer at 8.5 mm. The Lumia 830 is even slimmer than the original Lumia 820 (9.9 mm).
You'll find a beautiful display up front on the Lumia 830. Its 5.0-inch display comes with a resolution of 720p. It also features a slight curve to help feel improve the overall feel while holding.
The big selling point of the Lumia 830 will be its PureView camera. You'll find a rear camera with a 10 MP sensor and optical image stabilization. ZEISS optics ensures you can capture photos like more expensive Lumia handsets. You also get Rich Recording thanks to three microphones. This is recording technology we've seen in high-end handsets like the Lumia 930.
Look forward to orange, green, white and black as color options for the Lumia 830.
We'll bring you hands-on coverage of the Lumia 830 later today here at IFA. Have any questions? Sound off below and we'll get them answered for you later today.
Benchmarking the new Surface Book 3 15 with GTX 1660 Ti and 10th Gen i7
Although it's too early for a review, here are some initial benchmarks from the new Surface Book 3 15-inch with a Core i7 and NVIDIA GeForce 1660 Ti (Max-Q) and how it compares to Surface Book 2 and other premium laptops. Spoiler: While the CPU is just OK, that 1660 Ti definitely bumps up the Book 3's potential.
HP devices are facing BSOD and boot loops, but HP appears to have a fix
HP users saw some serious issues with PCs over the weekend, including the Blue Screen of Death and boot loops. Now, an update from HP might fix the issue.
Minecraft Dungeons Ultimate Guide: Everything you need to know
Minecraft Dungeons is here, and it's time to run through everything you need to know about the game.
Set up a Surface Pro workstation with one of these external monitors
The Surface Pro is great on its own, but that doesn't mean you can't add one or two external monitors to it and create a sweet battlestation. Here are the best overall picks available now.