What you need to know
- Microsoft Edge has an update available that brings the browser to version 98.0.1108.43.
- The update adds a browsing mode to Edge that prioritizes security.
- People can now customize their multi-profile browsing experience within Microsoft Edge.
Microsoft just released version 98.0.1108.43 of its Edge browser. The update has a handful of feature updates, including a new browsing mode that prioritizes security. Edge now lets people personalize their multi-profile experience, meaning users can make a list of sites the browser will automatically switch profiles for.
Here are the feature updates in Edge 98.0.11.08.43 as outlined by Microsoft:
- Enhance your security on the web. This is a browsing mode in Microsoft Edge where browser security takes priority, giving users an extra layer of protection when browsing the web. Administrators can apply group policies to end-user desktops (Windows, macOS, and Linux) to help protect against in-the-wild exploits (also referred to 0-days). The following group policies support this browsing mode:
- Personalize multi-profile experiences with profile preferences for sites. Users can personalize their multi-profile experience with the ability to create a customized list of sites for automatic profile switching in Microsoft Edge.
- Upcoming three-digit version number in user agent string. Starting with version 100, Microsoft Edge will send a three-digit version number in the User-Agent header, for example "Edg/100". Starting with Microsoft Edge 97, site owners can test this upcoming user agent string by enabling the #force-major-version-to-100 experiment flag in edge://flags to ensure their User-Agent parsing logic is robust and works as expected.
- Deprecate WebRTC's Plan B SDP semantics. This change deprecates a legacy Session Description Protocol (SDP) dialect called Plan B. This SDP format is being replaced by the Unified Plan, which is a spec-compliant and cross-browser compatible SDP format. For more information, see the Chrome Platform Status entry PSA: Plan B should throw in M96 Beta and Stable, and PSA: Plan B throwing in Stable and Extended Deprecation Trial End Date. Requesting a Trial for RTCPeerConnection Plan B SDP Semantics allows sites to continue to use the deprecated API until version 101.
- Overlay scrollbars added to Microsoft Edge. We've updated our scrollbars with an overlay-based design. Users can turn this feature on in edge://flags.
There's also a long list of policy updates in the latest version of Edge, which are listed in a Microsoft support document.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.