What you need to know
- A new Microsoft Edg Dev channel build is now rolling out to testers.
- This update brings beefed up password security alerts, more menu tweaks, and tons of bug fixes.
- This build is 86.0.622.3 and it's the final major build for version 86 before heading to the Beta channel.
The Microsoft Edge Dev channel received another weekly update today. This week, the build number comes in at version 86.0.622.3, and it brings several new tweaks worth checking out. Most notably, Microsoft has added more alerts when the password manager detects that a password has been compromise.
Beyond that, there are some additional menu tweaks, along with the usual batch of fixes and improvements. It's worth noting as well that this is the last major update to version 86 before Microsoft moves it to the Beta channel. There still might be more minor builds released, Microsoft says, but major feature additions are set for version 86.
Here's a look at everything that's new and improved, according to Microsoft's release notes (opens in new tab):
- Added the ability to delete a downloaded file from the file's entry's … menu on the Downloads shelf.
- Added an option to show or hide the Favorites bar from the Favorites management page.
- Added more alerts when Password Monitor detects a compromised password.
- Added a management policy for Internet Explorer Integration Testing Allowed. Note that this policy only applies if IE mode is also enabled, and that updates to administrative templates and documentation will come at a later date.
- Added a management policy to Enable Edge Spotlight Experiences and Recommendations. Note that updates to administrative templates and documentation will come at a later date.
- Enabled support for Default Sensors Setting, Sensors Allowed For Urls, and Sensors Blocked For Urls management policies from Chromium.
- Enabled a management policy for Insecure Form Warnings Enabled from Chromium.
- Fixed an issue where closing a window when some popups are open sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed a crash when using Read Aloud.
- Fixed an issue where opening the browser by clicking a link from another application sometimes causes the browser to immediately close again.
- Fixed an issue where opening Edge by clicking on a link from another application sometimes causes pages not to load and shows error RESULT_CODE_MISSING_DATA.
- Fixed an issue where Edge sometimes sees a very fast increase in memory usage.
- Fixed an issue where selecting a OneNote notebook to export a Collection to sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue where websites sometimes can't be installed as apps.
- Fixed an issue where users signed into the browser with work or school accounts sometimes fail to log into work or school websites.
- Fixed an issue where clicking on a file's entry on the Downloads shelf to open it sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to uninstall Edge Insider channels sometimes fails with a message to close any open Edge windows even though none are open.
- Improved scrolling behavior in PDFs.
- Improved the number of websites that can use the browser profile's saved credentials to automatically log in while in IE mode.
- Fixed an issue where some devices cause webpages to scroll incredibly fast.
- Fixed an issue where windows sometimes flicker or rapidly switch between two visual states.
- Fixed an issue where Sidebar search is sometimes not available in PDFs.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where the Passwords management page in Settings sometimes is blank.
- Fixed an issue where the Password Protection Login URLs and Password Protection Change Password URL management policies don't work on Mac.
- Fixed an issue where some webpages incorrectly detect or display a message that they don't work in Edge.
- Fixed an issue where suggestions that appear for URLs to visit when the typed URL doesn't exist weren't working.
- Fixed an issue where signing into the browser sometimes results in the profile picture not appearing.
- Fixed an issue where copying a page's address from the address bar sometimes fails or puts the wrong data on the clipboard.
- Fixed an issue where the window control buttons sometimes overlap some of the tabs in Shy UI if many tabs are open.
- Fixed an issue where tabs can't be selected in Shy UI.
- Fixed an issue where the new tab page is sometimes blocked by Family Safety settings.
- Fixed an issue where the address bar popup to allow third-party cookies sometimes doesn't contain an option to do it right there and only contains a link to Settings.
- Fixed an issue where the caret browsing confirmation popup contains two identical checkboxes.
If you're already testing the Dev channel, you can grab this release now through the "About Microsoft Edge" section of the settings menu. Otherwise, the Best, Dev, and Canary channels are available at the Edge Insider site. Likewise, the stable version is available to download at the official Edge website (opens in new tab).
Dan Thorp-Lancaster is the Editor in Chief for Windows Central. He began working with Windows Central as a news writer in 2014 and is obsessed with tech of all sorts. You can follow Dan on Twitter @DthorpL and Instagram @heyitsdtl. Got a hot tip? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.