What you need to know
- The Minecraft: Bedrock Edition beta and Minecraft Preview are securing a new 'Caves and Cliffs Update' release on Wednesday.
- Minecraft: Bedrock Edition Beta 184.108.40.206 includes plenty of new features, including experimental features from 'The Wild Update.'
- The allay, the winner of the Minecraft Live 2021 mob vote, makes its debut in this update, and will collect items for players.
- The Deep Dark also continues to evolve with new sculk features and deeper darkness, but The Warden isn't here, yet.
It has been a few weeks since the last Minecraft: Bedrock Edition beta, and Mojang Studios is breaking the silence today with a sizeable release coming to both the legacy Minecraft: Bedrock Edition beta program and the new Minecraft Preview. Minecraft: Bedrock Edition Beta 220.127.116.11 is packed with new features and tweaks, including the debut of the elusive allay mob.
The allay won the Minecraft Live 2021 mob vote, and makes its official debut in Minecraft with this beta. The adorable allay will seek out items that match what it holds in its hands, and bring these collected items to players or nearby note blocks. The allay is one of the new mobs included in The Wild Update, and players can finally see what it's all about.
Other headling features include more development for the Deep Dark, also part of The Wild Update, with new sculk features and the darkness effect. The Warden isn't in this release, but Mojang Studios mentioned the terrifying hostile mob is preparing to arrive on the Bedrock Edition in the near future. Minecraft players on mobile devices can also look forward to newly updated touch controls, which should, hopefully, make the touch screen experience more intuitive and comfortable.
Minecraft may be slower to get updates than other live service games, but it's still absolutely one of the best Xbox games thanks to the quality of those releases and the process by which Mojang Studios tests them. If you're interested in playing with the allay or new touch controls, you can now access the latest beta anywhere the Minecraft: Bedrock Edition beta or Minecraft Preview is available, including Xbox, Windows, Android, and iOS.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Bedrock Edition Beta 18.104.22.168 includes:
The Wild Update features
- Allay can collect the same items from the world as it holds in its hand
- If an Allay holds an item it got from a player, it will follow that player
- The Allay is able to drop items at nearby Note Blocks
- When playing a Note Block near an Allay, that Note Block becomes the Allays favorite Note Block for 30 seconds, and the Allay will attempt to drop off items at the Note Block rather than at the player
- If an Allay has items in its inventory, it will attempt to give them to its owner
- The Allay sometimes spawns in cages next to Pillager Outposts (similar to Iron Golem), and inside Woodland Mansions
- Known issues:
- The Allay may get stuck in a loop collecting and delivering one item from its inventory, especially when similar block types are used (such as regular and red sand)
Deep Dark Sculk
- The Warden hasn't made its way into the game yet, but it's getting ready for its big debut!
- Changed Sculk Catalyst block to match recent redesign
- A mysteriously soul-emitting block that blooms when mobs die within an 8-block radius
- Mobs that perish in the presence of the catalyst will not drop their experience
- Instead, a bubbling charge will be created at the place the mob perished
- This charge from mobs will spread through Sculk Veins and Sculk blocks in random directions until they find a valid substrate that they can convert into Sculk
- The value of the charge is directly proportional to the amount of XP the perished mob would have dropped, and each time a block is converted into Sculk, it will remove 1 value from that charge
- This charge in the Sculk blocks and Sculk Veins will eventually decay, but it will decay much, much slower in the close vicinity of the Sculk Catalyst, and much faster away from its host
- If the charge decays four blocks away from the catalyst, it has a chance of growing a Sculk Sensor or a Sculk Shrieker
- Charges and their values also merge when they move to the same position
- Made some changes to Sculk Sensors to be at parity with Java Edition
- They now make no activation sound when waterlogged
- Vibrations are now also occluded by Wool blocks
Deep Dark darkness effect
- A new mob effect unique to the Warden and Sculk Shrieker, which will afflict players with the effect when nearby
- Lowers the gamma down at an equivalent of "Moody" while having this effect
- In periodic pulses, will lower the overall brightness of the world so that the darkness creeps up against light sources
- When the Warden is around, torches will be more important than ever!
Features & bug fixes
Updated touch controls
- Enables preview of new touch control schemes for players on mobile devices
- These can be enabled by navigating to Settings, Touch, Enable New Touch Control Schemes
- Changed the spawning logic for Iron Golems and Cats to make it easier for them to spawn in roofed areas, like underground villages
- Scaffolding can no longer be placed without support on y=0
- Fire that exists before the Fire Tick game rule is enabled will continue to spread again
- Shulkers now have a chance to spawn another Shulker when hit by a Shulker projectile
- When a mob picks up an item, the item can be seen slightly "pulled" towards the mob right as it picks it up. This matches the behavior of Java Edition
- Blaze Fireball will deal knockback on impact
- Acacia Trees now grow Leaves on every branch below Y = 0
- Mobs can no longer spawn on Campfires
- Glow Lichen does not generate hanging in the air inside Strongholds anymore
- Glow Lichen now correctly checks for the face of the block they are attached to be full
- Glow Lichen can now be attached to Leaves
- Blocks such as Glow Lichen, Torches, and Redstone can no longer be placed on or attached to Brewing Stands
- Blocks such as Glow Lichen, Torches, and Redstone can now be placed on or attached to Trapdoors, depending on their state
- Azaleas and Lily Pads are now broken by flowing water
- Fixed an issue that would cause commands to affect players in all dimensions
- Fixed lighting bug where light level 1 incorrectly dropped to 0 when placing blocks in light level 1 with multiple light sources
- Sculk Sensors and Magma Blocks are now visible in the darkness
- Observers placed facing Double Chests no longer send out a Redstone pulse when reloading / re-entering a chunk
- Fixed a bug where the "Invite" button was disabled incorrectly for clients
- Added Seed Templates to the advanced tab in the new Create New World screen
- Villagers are no longer able to trade while on fire
The trade screen will no longer open if the owner of the
component is on fire
- Changed block (Cactus, ChorusFlower, Crop, Grass, PointedDripstone, Sapling) tick rates to match Java Edition
- Random tick positions will no longer be chosen below the world
- Clarified documentation for
query.is_item_name_anythat the slot index is required when there is more than one slot, like the hotbar
- Added read-only property
id: string— The identifier for the entity type
- Added read-only property
- Added function
get(identifier: string): EntityType— Returns the corresponding
EntityTypefor the given identifier
- Added function
getAll(): EntityTypeIterator— Returns an iterator containing all registered entity types
- Added function
EntityTypeconstants for each standard Minecraft entity type
BlockOnlyPistonPushcomponents from data-driven blocks
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play
Minecraft is an inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It's also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox, Windows 10, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, Android, and iOS. Play with anyone and play anywhere.
A catalog of games
All your gaming needs, in one subscription
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, Xbox Game Pass for Xbox consoles and PC Game Pass for Windows devices, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go fun. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription cost.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.