What you need to know
- The Wild Update is slated for release later in 2022, and will add tons of new features to Minecraft.
- Mojang Studios is still developing the update, and is testing upcoming changes with interested players.
- Minecraft: Bedrock Edition Beta 126.96.36.199 and Minecraft Preview 188.8.131.52 are now available.
- The preview build includes new Spectator Mode tweaks and dozens of other changes and improvements.
A large facet of how Minecraft has achieved the level of success it has is how Mojang Studios involves the community in ongoing development of new features and changes. The company does so by letting interested players test pre-release builds through Minecraft's betas, snapshots, and the new Preview program. On Wednesday, Mojang Studios dropped the latest in a long line of Minecraft: Bedrock Edition betas.
Minecraft: Bedrock Edition Beta 184.108.40.206 (.31 for Minecraft Preview) once again rests comfortably under The Wild Update umbrella, and includes dozens of changes and fixes for the upcoming content update. Players can look forward to updates to allay, wardens, mangrove swamps, sculks, and much more with this Minecraft release.
Mojang Studios is also continuing to develop the experimental Spectator Mode, for which the studio is still not collecting direct feedback from the community. There are plenty of new changes to explore from the last Minecraft: Bedrock Edition beta, further cementing Minecraft as a quintessential Xbox game to have in your collection.
In case you missed it, Mojang Studios is intending to retire the Minecraft: Bedrock Edition beta on Windows devices and replace it with the new Minecraft Preview by the end of the month. If you haven't made the jump to Minecraft Preview on PC, yet, this is a great time to do so. Minecraft Preview is provided for free to all Minecraft: Bedrock Edition owners on PC, and is also included in PC Game Pass.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Bedrock Edition Beta 220.127.116.11 / Minecraft Preview 18.104.22.168 includes:
- The Minecraft Beta on Windows will be retiring soon!
- To continue testing out new pre-release features, you will need to install the Minecraft Preview version
Features & bug fixes
Spectator Mode (Experimental)
- Just as a reminder, we won't be accepting bug reports related to spectator mode until we let you know, as the feature is likely to change a lot during development
- Here are some of the fixes and changes we have made in this update:
- Custom input mapping for Spectator Mode added
- Spectators are now unable to attack
- Spectators are now unable to build
- Spectators are now unable to drop items
- Spectators are now unable to use items
- Spectators are now unable to open inventory
- Spectators are now unable to interact with the world through input
- Spectators are now unable to interact with chests or other container UI
- Spectators no longer fly slowly when entering Spectator Mode from ground
- Players enter noclip and flying when enabling Spectator Mode
- Players stop riding, using items, sleeping, and gliding when entering Spectator Mode
- Double-jump no longer breaks Spectator Mode
- Submit Feedback button is now described as a link by Text-To-Speech
- "Controller connection lost" popup now will also be shown on Main Menu screen
- Allay no longer stops moving when attempting to reach an item that is too far away while being leashed
- Ancient Cities are no longer flooded with water or lava as often
- Darkness effect in water no longer creates colorful jumping lines around sources of light
- Darkness effect fade-in is no longer abrupt
- Breaking an activated Sculk Shrieker no longer stops the Warden from spawning
- Structure Void block no longer generate in Ancient City with Sculk Vein generated around it
- Trap mechanism variant under main central structure in Ancient City now works properly
- Sculk Shriekers can once again be waterlogged
- Warden now emits darkness every 6 seconds
- Prevent Warden from building anger towards and targeting experience orbs
- Prevent Warden from attacking non-mob type actors such as the Trident
- Warden can now detect vibrations emitted by a Sculk Shrieker shrieking
- Warden now prefers investigating the closest mobs position after sniffing
- Warden now doesn't play anger listening sounds when getting angry through an attack
- Warden's heartbeat now reflects the anger towards either the Warden's target or the highest recorded anger
- Fixed the little jumping bug after Warden has emerged from the ground
- The sonic explosion particle has been updated to a new texture
- Sculk Sensors correctly detect when Turtle Eggs and Slab Blocks are placed on their respective existing blocks
- Sculk Sensors now activate repeatedly when an entity is on top of them
- A projectile hitting Wool or Wool Carpet does not produce vibration anymore
- A player looking at a tamed animal does not produce vibrations anymore
- A player crouching with a Shield in the offhand slot does not produce vibrations anymore
- The Sculk Sensor correctly detects when a Dirt, Coarse Dirt, or Rooted Dirt Block is tilled with a Hoe
- Sculk Sensors can now detect Boat movement
- Sculk Sensors can now detect a Boat above a bubble column making splashes
- The Sculk Sensor correctly detects when a Dirt, Coarse Dirt, or Rooted Dirt Block is turned into a Mud block when interacted with while holding a Water Bottle
- Sculk Sensors can be waterlogged once again
- The lower face of Sculk Sensors can now provide support to other blocks
- A Sculk Sensor can no longer detect a player sneaking on another Sculk Sensor
- Mangrove Propagule now grow into trees at the same speed as in Java Edition
- Bees can now pollinate Mangrove Propagules
- Mangrove Planks can now be crafted from Stripped Mangrove Logs
- Mangrove blocks are now sorted next to other Overworld wood types
- Mangrove Roots are no longer located in the 'Woods' section of the Creative Inventory
- Mangrove Wood map colors now match Java Edition
- Mangrove Log and Stripped Mangrove Log map colors now match Java Edition
- Mangrove Roots are now flammable
- Gravity blocks now break when falling on Mud blocks
- Turning Dirt to Mud now produces a splash sound
- Mud block is now placed beside Dirt in the Creative Inventory
- Mud Brick Slabs now play sounds when two Slabs are stacked into a full block
- Frogs now provide same experience points as other animals like Cows and Goats
- Frogspawn is no longer affected by random tick speed (Vanilla Parity)
- Tadpoles hurt sounds volume has been increased, and Tadpoles now have a grow-up sound
- When in the Nether, Endermen, Piglins, Skeletons, and Wither Skeletons now spawn in a wider range of light levels (from light level 0 to 11)
- Torches can no longer be placed on Bells
- Added Wild Update Achievements; "It spreads", "Birthday song", "With our powers combined!", and "Sneak 100"
- Fixed a bug where Leads would render on top of Glass
- Reverted mirrored mob parts in Wolf model according to current Art Direction
- A Boat with Chest now drops a single item when destroyed instead of two items (Boat and Chest)
- Mangrove Roots can no longer be used as fuel in Furnaces
- When broken each Minecart variant (Chest / Hopper / TNT) drops itself as a single item, instead of splitting into two items (such as Chest and Minecart)
- Mobs do not get stuck into open Trapdoors anymore
Stability & performance
- Fixed a crash that could occur when players are battling and both players are wearing Thorns enchanted Armor
- Fixed crash that could occur when blending worlds with air filled chunks
- Fixed a crash that could occur during splitscreen play
- Updated documentation for specific string types
Path String, and
- Added a
is_waterloggedfilter test to prevent mobs from moving to blocks underwater
Stability & performance
- Fixed a crash when attempting to access a null entity
- Game no longer crashes when creating a world from Cruise Ship Roleplay template (3P)
GameTest Framework (Experimental)
- Important breaking change:
- GameTest module type changed from
manifest.json. Added an optional attribute
languagewhich has only one supported value —
- GameTest module type changed from
manifest.jsonshould look as follows:
/script profilercommand to create GameTest script performance traces. Script profiles should be written to the Minecraft
- Removed constraint on maximum travel distance from GameTest structure for
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play
Minecraft is an inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. Players can test features early with the Minecraft: Bedrock Edition Beta, or the Minecraft Preview, and contribute to the future of this legendary game.
A catalog of games
All your gaming needs, in one subscription
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, Xbox Game Pass for Xbox consoles and PC Game Pass for Windows devices, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go fun. Minecraft, and its beta and preview programs, are available through Xbox and PC Game Pass.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.