What you need to know
- 1.17 'Caves and Cliffs Update' Part One just released for Minecraft, with a whole bunch of new features and mobs.
- Mojang Studios is already moving along with a planned patch update, which will include bug fixes and other improvements.
- Minecraft: Java Edition 1.17.1 Pre-Release 1 is now available to testers, and doesn't include anything too exciting.
- Seeing as we're already in the "pre-release" stage, the 1.17.1 update likely isn't more than a few weeks away.
Minecraft is still reeling from the fateful release of 1.17 Caves and Cliffs Update Part One, which delivered a shipment of new features to the game with a ton of fanfare. Now, Mojang Studios is working on further post-release polish and tweaks now that the update is public, culminating in Minecraft: Java Edition 1.17.1 Pre-Release 1. Don't expect any new features here (Minecraft: Bedrock Edition is getting candles in this update, which are already in the Java Edition), just a lot of changes to existing features and the usual batch of bug fixes.
The fact that we're already at the "pre-release" level indicates that the 1.17.1 update likely isn't more than a few weeks away, so players won't have to wait long to see these improvements in the official Caves and Cliffs Update. If you're waiting alongside the rest of us, be sure to check out our list of best Minecraft merch, toys, and gifts to pass the time.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Java Edition Pre-Release 1 includes:
- Blue axolotls can now only be obtained through breeding
- Non-screaming goats now have a rare chance to produce a screaming goat when bred
- Status effects on goats now also apply when the goat is jumping or ramming
- Raised the drop rate for copper ingots from Drowned to 11% + 2% per level of looting
- Powder snow now fills cauldrons two times faster than before (still pretty slowly, though!)
- Zombies, Zombie Villagers, Husks and Drowned will no longer pick up glow ink sacs
Caves and Cliffs Update preview
- Download the new datapack
- In case of DNS-based redirection, the client will send the hostname actually used to connect (this restores the pre-1.17 behavior)
- Sun, moon, and / or clouds are not showing if render distance is below 4
- Enchantments are saved as shorts, but are loaded as and function with integer values
- Turkish lira sign (
₺) appears as
□in the game
- Duplicate text mapping for U+00B7
- U+1FEC is wrong in Minecraft's font
- Pistons and dispensers can be used to create ghost blocks using powder snow
- Ghost items can be created using
/item(server doesn't update client inventory correctly)
- Loaded chunks sometimes don't render until the player moves their head slightly
- Hanging Roots appear large when an item entity
- Logs can be replaced with stone near lava pools
- Withers are now affected by potion effects
- World gen datapacks will likely crash or softlock the game
- Lag when placing heads of non-existent players when on servers
root_systemfeature config's codec uses a wrong field
- Overworld Fossils always generate at bedrock level
- End portal texture appears stretched after world conversion
- Small dripleaf is consumed without being placed when used on tall seagrass
- Group for lapis lazuli ore smelting and blasting recipes is misspelled
- Client crash when trying to create/edit realm immediately after deleting previous one
- Ender pearls despawn when player logs out of a server
- Thrown ender pearls disappear upon entering the exit end portal
random_selectordefault feature isn't found
- Very long loading pause while booting the game ("Failed to add PDH Counter", caused by oshi)
- Specifying the
--serverparameter when starting the game, causes the game to crash
- Blue axolotls can spawn naturally