What you need to know
- 1.17 'Caves and Cliffs Update' Part One just released for Minecraft, with lots of new mobs, blocks, and more included.
- Now, Mojang Studios is testing iterative bug-fixing updates for Part One of the 'Caves and Cliffs Update' with the 1.17.1 update.
- 1.17.1 Pre-Release 2 is now available for testing for Minecraft: Java Edition, and includes additional fixes and improvements.
- It also includes a technical change that ensures Minecraft logs the death of named pets.
Minecraft already had its excitement of the summer with the release of 1.17 Caves and Cliffs Update Part One, but the work isn't done for Mojang Studios yet. The developer is currently testing a suite of fixes for the Caves and Cliffs Update, presumably before they start working in earnest on 1.18 Caves and Cliffs Update Part Two, expected to release in Winter 2021. To this end, Mojang Studios has released Minecraft: Java Edition 1.17.1 Pre-Release 2 for testing.
1.17.1 Pre-Release 2 is understandably modest in scope, as it simply aims to improve upon the last iteration with a handful of additional bug fixes. Still, Mojang Studios wants the help of the Minecraft community to test the update for any lingering issues before the 1.17.1 update is publically released. Besides the usual bug fixes, 1.17.1 Pre-Release 2 also includes a technical change where Minecraft will now log the deaths of named mobs.
Minecraft players can now test the 1.17.1 Pre-Release 2 snapshot for Minecraft: Java Edition, ahead of the 1.17.1 update's probable release in the next few weeks. If you're a fan of Minecraft, you can support the game by helping test future updates or picking up something from our list of best Minecraft merch, toys, and gifts, which includes something for any Minecraft lover.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Java Edition Pre-Release 2 includes:
Caves & Cliffs Update preview
- Download the latest datapack
- Deaths of named mobs are now logged
- Calcite is too quiet compared to other blocks
- Creative mode obtained Bucket of Axolotl / Tropical Fish only spawns one kind axolotl / tropical fish
- Emerald ore generates too often
- Attempting to walk through flowing water constantly switches the player from swimming into normal mode
- Diamond ore distribution changed between 1.16.5 and 1.17
- You can steal the item a villager is holding for trade by killing it
- Wandering Trader obtained tropical fish are only white kob
/clearcommand doesn't clear certain stacks after dropping items from them
Zachary Boddy is the Minecraft Expert and a News Writer for Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been freelancing for Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019, with a focus on Xbox and PC gaming. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.