What you need to know
- The next patch update for Minecraft: Java Edition is version 1.18.2, which will likely include dozens of changes and fixes.
- The update is in the final stages of testing, with Mojang Studios releasing incremental pre-release snapshots.
- Minecraft: Java Edition 1.18.2 Pre-Release 3 is now available with a fresh batch of fixes, and little else on top of that.
- The 1.18.2 patch update doesn't have a defined release date, yet, but it should be just around the corner.
Mojang Studios is in the process of finalizing the 1.18.2 patch update for Minecraft: Java Edition, an update including dozens of fixes, quality-of-life improvements, technical updates, and much more. Before the patch is officially released to all Java Edition players, Mojang is polishing it through pre-release snapshots.
On Wednesday, the studio released Minecraft: Java Edition 1.18.2 Pre-Release 3, the latest snapshot for the Caves and Cliffs Update patch. This snapshot follows hot on the heels of the last pre-release snapshot with a small number of additional bug fixes and nothing else.
It takes a lot to be considered one of the best PC games ever made, but Minecraft comfortably secures that title. The upcoming 1.18.2 patch update should make the game even better than it already is.
In case you missed it, Mojang Studios also released the first Deep Dark experimental snapshot based on The Wild Update, which comes to Minecraft in 2022 with new biomes to explore, mobs to discover, and features with which to play. The first experimental snapshot specifically highlights the Deep Dark biome and terrifying Warden mob.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Java Edition 1.18.2 Pre-Release 3 includes:
- Glow berries and glow lichen generation does not cause light updates across chunk borders
- Can't double-click to join a realm
/locatecommand not working properly in Flat Worlds
- The game output and server console are logged and spammed with "Creating a MIN function between two non-overlapping inputs" when joining or creating a world
- Crash when opening singleplayer screen due to
- The world freezes on superflat when using the
locatecommand to find a pillager outpost
- Explorer maps leading to custom structures can cause the server to hang
A catalog of games
All your gaming needs, in one subscription
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, Xbox Game Pass for Xbox consoles and PC Game Pass for Windows devices, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go fun. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription cost.
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.