What you need to know
- Mojang Studios has been finalizing the 'Caves and Cliffs Update' Part One with a flurry of betas and Pre-Release snapshots.
- Today, Minecraft: Java Edition is releasing the 'Caves and Cliffs Update' Release Candidate 1, meaning the update is pretty much done.
- As long as Mojang Studios doesn't encounter any other major issues, Release Candidate 1 will be launched publically on June 8.
- We could be looking at the 'Caves and Cliffs Update' Part One in all its glory with Release Candidate 1.
Unless you've been trapped in a particularly deep Minecraft cave for a few months, you'll know that we're right around the corner from the next major update for Minecraft. Part One of the Caves and Cliffs Update is currently being finalized by Mojang Studios, and officially releases on June 8 to all platforms.
As we rapidly approach release day, Mojang Studios has been frantically working on last-minute polish and fixes with a flurry of Pre-Release snapshots for Minecraft: Java Edition, which were practically released right on top of each other. After yesterday's Minecraft: Java Edition Pre-Release 5, Mojang Studios is finally comfortable enough to begin testing Minecraft: Java Edition Caves and Cliffs Update Release Candidate 1.
On the surface, the latest Minecraft: Java Edition snapshot doesn't contain much to speak of. It's a handful of bug fixes and little else. However, this signifies that Mojang Studios is comfortable with this snapshot potentially being the Caves and Cliffs Update launching early next week. As long as Mojang doesn't run into any other major issues or lingering bugs, this snapshot could go straight from "Release Candidate 1" to Part One of the Caves and Cliffs Update.
If you're excited for the Caves and Cliffs Update for Minecraft, celebrate the arrival of Release Candidate 1 with something from our list of best Minecraft merch, toys, and gifts, which includes something for every Minecraft fan.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Java Edition Caves and Cliffs Update Release Candidate 1 includes:
Caves and Cliffs Update preview
- Download the new datapack
- Custom player heads sometimes flash when placed on armor stands
- Improved desync issues when exiting a boat over a high latency connection
- Fixed crashes
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.