What you need to know
- Minecraft: Java Edition is getting bees.
- You can download build 19W34A right now.
- The bee mechanics are deep and varied.
- Minecraft: Bedrock Edition is part of Xbox Game Pass (opens in new tab).
It seems like there's a bee craze sweeping the world of video games. Aside from the lovable Bee Simulator, Minecraft is getting the little insects who are responsible for life on Earth in many ways. Today, Xbox Game Studios announced that the Java version of the popular game was getting bees and other related additions. You can take a look at the important patch notes for build 19W34A below.
Minecraft is getting... BEES!
Bee hives, bee nests, honeycomb, and more un-bee-lievable items are on their way to @Minecraft. https://t.co/RCiFI44bP9 pic.twitter.com/JN4AVuGnO6Minecraft is getting... BEES!
Bee hives, bee nests, honeycomb, and more un-bee-lievable items are on their way to @Minecraft. https://t.co/RCiFI44bP9 pic.twitter.com/JN4AVuGnO6— Windows Central Gaming (@WCGamingTweets) August 22, 2019August 22, 2019
- Added Bees to the game.
- Added Bee Nests and Hives to the game.
- Added Honeycomb to the game.
- Added some dispenser functionality.
- Minecraft: Java Edition now requires OpenGL 2.0 so get on that.
- Bees are cute, fuzzy, neutral mobs, so don't hurt them because they don't want to hurt you.
- If a bee does sting you, it will leave its stinger in you and eventually die, dropping nothing.
- Bees love pretty flowers and spend their lives gathering pollen from them.
- After gathering pollen, bees fly back to their home nest.
- Bees help you by growing crops while carrying pollen back to the nest.
- Bees can be bred using flowers.
- Bees like sharing the location of their favorite flowers with other bees.
- If a bee can't find nectar, after a while it will return home for a bit.
- If a bee doesn't have a home nest, it will wander around until it finds one it can use.
- Bees don't like rain and they sleep at night.
- Bee Nests spawn naturally in Flower Forests, Plains, and Sunflower Plains biomes.
- Bees use Nests and Hives to share flower locations with other bees.
- Bee Hives are crafted by players using Honeycomb and Wood Planks.
- Bee Nests will be destroyed unless you use Silk Touch.
Are you excited for bees? Let us know. Minecraft is a cultural sensation and is played by over 190 million active users. The game is also a part of Xbox Game Pass so you can play it through your subscription.
Best of the best
Xbox Game Pass gives you access to over 200 games for one monthly fee. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate also adds Xbox Live Gold to the package so you can play online with your friends.
Jump into digital
Ditch the discs
Secure your Xbox One S All-Digital Edition, Microsoft's new and ambitious disc-less console. It's the cheapest Xbox One ever made, bundled with a trio of downloadable games.
Awesome Minecraft merch
Love Minecraft? We're fairly certain you'll love these accessories equally.
Minecraft Sprites Premium T-Shirt (opens in new tab) ($19 at Amazon)
Show off your Minecraft pride with this premium tee from Jinx, showcasing many of Minecraft's iconic mobs.
Minecraft Lego: The End Battle (opens in new tab) ($20 at Amazon)
Who doesn't want a Lego Ender Dragon?
Minecraft for Nintendo Switch (opens in new tab) ($30 at Amazon)
Minecraft for Nintendo Switch features full cross-play between Xbox, Windows 10, mobile phones, and even VR!
Minecraft shades (opens in new tab) ($8 at Amazon)
You might think you're cool, but are you cool enough to wear these?
Asher Madan handles gaming news for Windows Central. Before joining Windows Central in 2017, Asher worked for a number of different gaming outlets. He has a background in medical science and is passionate about all forms of entertainment, cooking, and antiquing.
I thought bedrock would get new features before Java. Maybe they have everyone busy with Render Dragon.
My understanding is that they are somewhat independent. Also, a java snapshot is like a beta release, so they might release bees for Bedrock before Java 1.15 comes out. I'm not familiar with the dev schedules.
I think thats what happened with Village and Pillage iirc.
When will come to the universal engine? I mean, where everyone plays together.
Yes, the test features come to Java, see if they work well, and then they hit Bedrock.
I feel they shouldn't keep developing theJava version apart from bedrock...
There are aot of people who still play Java, unfortunately. Because of all the free mods and support for Mac and Linux, it will.probanly never go away.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.