What you need to know
- We're only a few weeks away from the official release of 'the Nether Update' for Minecraft.
- This will be a major update, making dramatic and total changes to the game's Nether dimension.
- We're now in the Pre-Release phase for the Java Edition, with the third build officially out now.
- At this point, it's all about sweeping bug fixes and improvements, so the changelog is quite long this time.
Now that we're officially in the Pre-Release stage of development for the Nether Update, changelogs are getting long and boring. It's all about little fixes and polish here and there to make the Nether Update a better, more enjoyable experience for everyone. Pre-Release 3 is now out, and it continues this trend. Most of the changes are tiny, but here are the most notable ones:
- Nether Fortresses will now spawn slightly more often.
- Food can now be placed on campfires that are unlit.
- You can now see a little better under lava when using Fire Resistance.
- Piglins can now hear chests being opened or gold blocks being broken, even if they can't see you.
- There is now a loading screen for loading, re-creating, or creating a world.
- A very, very long list of bug fixes and improvements.
- The game will now attempt to recover corrupted worlds from the initial Pre-Release 1 build.
One of the more interesting things about this release is that Mojang Studios has confirmed in the blog post announcing it that we are only a few weeks out from the public release. This coincides with our original speculation, so it seems Mojang Studios is right on schedule, despite the ongoing world events with the COVID-19 pandemic. It also seems the team is getting more aggressive with squashing bugs, with bodes well for what is hopefully a smooth and painless release for the Nether Update.
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play.
Minecraft is a veritable, inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It's also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox One, Windows 10, Playstation 4, Nintendo Switch, Android, and iOS. Play with anyone, and play anywhere.
Zachary Boddy is the Minecraft Expert and a News Writer for Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been freelancing for Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019, with a focus on Xbox and PC gaming. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.