What you need to know
- Minecraft Earth is the mobile AR spin-off of the ultra-popular Minecraft game.
- It's an exciting, if flawed, evolution of what makes Minecraft so special.
- The game is still in its early stages, so it's changing a lot over time.
- In the latest episode of Ask Mojang, team members answer questions about the game.
Minecraft Earth hasn't evaded some deserved criticism for its monetization practices, but has evolved a lot since its introduction, adding new mechanics, blocks, items and much more. In the latest episode of Ask Mojang on YouTube, some members of the Minecraft Earth team answered a few questions about the future of the game and how it can continue to be better. You can't shove a ton of information into a video just over four minutes long, but there are some interesting tidbits there.
- Exploring the Nether...in AR? It seems the Minecraft Earth team is busy exploring how they can incorporate the Nether into Minecraft Earth. Does this mean a build plate, a separate mode, something else? We don't know yet, but it's exciting.
- Bringing unique Earth mobs to vanilla Minecraft. While this wasn't in any way confirmed, it also wasn't ruled out for some exclusive Minecraft Earth mob variants like the muddy pig to eventually track mud into the main Minecraft game. Here's hoping.
- Bring every block to Minecraft Earth. This was is a tall order, since Minecraft Earth fits into entirely separate parameters than Minecraft: Bedrock Edition or Java Edition. This isn't stopping the team from exploring ways to bring every block to Earth, even tricky ones like the sticky piston.
- An increased level cap. Right now the maximum level you can achieve is 20, which isn't exactly high. Minecraft Earth is planning on raising that level limit so that players can soar to new heights.
Only time will tell how much of this will actually come to fruition, but it's clear that the team behind Minecraft Earth isn't planning to slow down any time soon. I just hope they don't lose focus of how the core features of the game still aren't perfect, because I know I haven't been hooked on Minecraft Earth like I wanted to.
Are you excited about these potential changes? What do you want to see from Minecraft Earth? Let us know in the comments below!
A game you can play anywhere with anyone.
The only thing that could make Minecraft even better is if you could play it in more places. Wait, you can? That's right, because Minecraft is available on almost every platform imaginable including Xbox One, Windows 10, Playstation 4, Nintendo Switch, Android, and iOS. Get it everywhere, play it anywhere.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.