What you need to know
- The Nether Update is the latest major release for Minecraft, making lots of changes to the game.
- It's been very stable overall, but players on the Playstation 4 especially have been reporting issues with the game freezing while loading.
- This leads to an infinite splash screen, or even crashes, whenever players try to get into Minecraft.
- A new hotfix adds a button combination that hopefully offers a workaround for this issue.
If you've been having issues with the Nether Update for Minecraft while playing on a Playstation 4, Mojang Studios may have a solution rolling out to everyone starting right now. The new hotfix for the Nether Update adds a single fix specific to the Playstation 4, to help players who have been facing an issue with the game freezing on an infinite loading screen while trying to get into the game, which can also lead to crashes.
The workaround for this issue is a new dedicated button combination that clears the player's download cache, which should hopefully resolve the loading issue and let players get into the game without any further problems. If you've been dealing with this particular issue, do the following after installing the hotfix:
- Launch Minecraft on your Playstation 4.
- While the game is still on the splash screen, press and hold the following buttons: L1 + L2 + R1 + R2 + OPTIONS + Touch Pad.
- Continue to hold down this button combination until the splash screen disappears.
This will clear the download cache on your profile, and should be the answer to all your problems! If you continue to have issues in the future, keep this workaround in mind. If you're interested, you can also check out the full changelog for this hotfix on Mojang Studios' website.
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play.
Minecraft is an inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It's also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox One, Windows 10, Playstation 4, and Nintendo Switch. Play with anyone, and play anywhere.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.