What you need to know
- The Nether Update for Minecraft continues to add new features over time.
- The latest snapshot is here, and is no exception to the trend.
- New locations, a new type of block, and new music are all here.
- The snapshot is available to try now, and should be official with the Nether Update later this year.
Everytime it looks like we've seen everything Mojang intends to include in the Nether Update, the surprise us with more features, more toys, and more polish. The latest snapshot, creatively dubbed "20w16a" (just rolls of the tongue,) is a decently sized update that has some new things for us to play with while we wait for the full-fledged update to come out later this year. The new snapshot for Minecraft includes:
- Bastion remnants. These colossal structures are built from the dark and moody blackstone, and is the new official home for piglins and hoglins, and has multiple rooms including bridges, stables, housing, and treasure rooms! This is definitely the biggest change in the snapshot.
- Chain blocks. The Nether Update has been fantastic for people who always wanted to build the perfect dark castle. Between blackstone, the new basalt deltas, and chain blocks, there's no stopping us! These are decorative blocks that are, you guessed it, chains. They look awesome, and look like a lot of fun.
- Ruined portals. These are more about adding more versatility to the landscape, and will be important in both the Overworld and the Nether. As the name suggests, these are destroyed nether portals that have damaged the surrounding area, and often have chests full of loot nearby.
- New music. Recently, hauntingly beautiful music by Lena Raine was added for the Nether Update. The music is amazing, and another new song is being added. "Pigstep" will play whenever you're in a bastion remnant.
The Nether Update is truly impressive in its scale, and Mojang is knocking it out of the park when it comes to polish so far. Subtle transitions, new animations, updated particle effects, and original music all come together to make every location in the Nether feel unique and powerful. Like always, this snapshot also includes optimizations and bug fixes as well. If you're interested in the full changelog, you can check out the post here.
Is the Nether Update more exciting with every snapshot or what? Let us know what you think about the progress of the Nether Update in the comments below!
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play.
Minecraft is a veritable, inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It's also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox One, Windows 10, Playstation 4, Nintendo Switch, Android, and iOS. Play with anyone, and play anywhere.
Zachary Boddy is the Minecraft Expert and a News Writer for Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been freelancing for Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019, with a focus on Xbox and PC gaming. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.