Although Windows Phone 8 is nearly one year old, the promise of numerous VOIP apps is still not quite a reality. Yesterday though, Nimbuzz, an old school messaging service, finally delivered on free voice calls for their Windows Phone app.
Version 126.96.36.199 is now live in the Store for Windows Phone 8 devices. Free voice calls (with your Nimbuzz contacts) and bug fixes are the two features on order.
We haven’t used Nimbuzz since our Windows Mobile days (surprisingly, we remembered our account name and password), but the free messaging service is one to consider if you’re looking for a way to cut down on SMS messages or even voice calls. Of course, this assumes that data is not that important to you when compared to your voice and texting plan. So what else does Nimbuzz offer?
- Free Messaging - Replace SMS with unlimited free chat
- IM Community - Connect with multiple IM accounts and have them in one list (Facebook, Gtalk)
- Picture Sharing– Click and share your favourite pictures with friends & family
- Chat History – Chat history keeps your conversation handy for later use
- Chat buddies – Use our popular chat buddies for Twitter, Cricket, Astrology etc.
- Much more – Guided tour, Contact management, Presence management, Message typing indicator, N-world, free Avatars and much more.
It’s not a bad offering and the app seems solid enough. Granted, you’ll need to convince your friends and family to switch to Nimbuzz, if they haven’t already. But assuming Nimbuzz is an option for you, it’s great to see it get voice calling as an added feature.
Pick up Nimbuzz for Windows Phone 8 here in the Store. Thanks, Aniket K., for the tip