Phil Spencer discusses Xbox's prospects in Japan and more with Gamertag Radio
Everything from Xbox Series X to Japan.
What you need to know
- Recently, Xbox head Phil Spencer sat down with Gamertag Radio.
- Everything from the Xbox Series X to Microsoft's position in Japan was discussed.
- Microsoft wants to make a dent in Japan and wants to focus more on the country.
- The company doesn't want to leave gamers behind by not supporting the Xbox One the next few years.
The 1000th episode of Gamertag Radio recently dropped and it featured Xbox head Phil Spencer as the guest. Spencer and the interviewers discussed many different aspects about the future of Xbox, but for key topics stood out the most. You can read about them below.
- Xbox wants to be different going into the next-generation of devices and their strategies will be different. The Xbox Series X reveal at The Game Awards 2019 was just the first step. No one expected it and Microsoft wants to continue this into the future.
- Gamers are playing games on a number of devices nowadays and that's why it's important for Microsoft to support as many as they can. This is why first-party Xbox Series X games won't be limited to just that console during the first year or two of the device.
- Spencer knows that Microsoft isn't doing well in Japan and wants to change that by bringing the Xbox Series X and other services to Japan when they launch worldwide. When asking if we'll ever see first-party Japanese games from Microsoft, Spencer said that he had nothing to announce at the moment, but he knows that that is important. Could this mean Microsoft is looking into buying a Japanese studio like FromSoftware or another one that's independent? Only time will tell. Maybe Microsoft will set up its own team there that makes games.
- Xbox will support virtual reality (VR) when it becomes a "no-brainer" to support it. Even now, the experiences feel like small demos and are plagued with performance issues and other problems like motion sickness.
You can listen to the entire interview below.
The interview was quite informative and we hope Spencer gives more soon. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Xbox in Japan. However, it seems like we'll probably have to wait a while for more information on that.
It'll last you a couple of months
Xbox Game Pass gives you access to over 200 games for one monthly fee. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate also adds Xbox Live Gold to the package so you can play online with your friends.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Asher Madan handles gaming news for Windows Central. Before joining Windows Central in 2017, Asher worked for a number of different gaming outlets. He has a background in medical science and is passionate about all forms of entertainment, cooking, and antiquing.