Rage 2 is a first-person shooter which takes place in a post-apocalyptic future. Following a catastrophic asteroid impact, Earth is in ruin and numerous individuals are put into underground hibernation. Unfortunately, events don't go according to plan and the surface is overrun by mutants and an oppressive organization known as "The Authority." It's up to you to liberate everyone and dismantle the oppressive regime once and for all.
Rage 2 features over-the-top action, but that hasn't stopped developer Avalanche Studios from releasing even crazier mods. Yesterday, a strange trailer surfaced which featured cheat codes for the game. No, it wasn't an April Fools' Day prank, but an actual mode. Today, publisher Bethesda clarified what was going on.
Rage 2 is adding an old school layer of over-the-top fun and introducing a Cheats system to the game, meaning your already insane action is going to get… just plain weird. You may have seen the recent April Fool's Day trailer for a 'He's on Fire' mode in the game, but that wasn't a prank. It's a real thing in this absurd game.
According to Rage 2's Senior Gameplay Designer Peter Hastings, "Cheats have been an integral part of games since... the original Doom. And we're proud to be keeping the tradition alive. Plus, they're just really funny." Hastings's favorite cheat makes exploding red barrels rain from the sky. You can read about some of the other Cheats below.
- He's on Fire: Video game voiceover legend Tim Kitzrow lends his very familiar talents to Rage 2 with the He's on Fire Cheat.
- Git Gud: Sweet, sweet instagib. With 'Git Gud' every enemy goes down in one hit. It's not fair to your enemies, but screw them.
- Son of Thor: Much like the power Olivia Newton John is supplying in the hit film 'Grease,' this Cheat is electrifying. When the 'Son of Thor' Cheat is activated, the player becomes electric, electrocuting any enemies that get too close.
- Klegg Support: The infamous Klegg Clayton is spawned as a friendly companion.
- Phoenix Rejector Seat: As opposed to the Phoenix's Ejector Seat, which does what it says on the tin and ejects the player from the vehicle, the Rejector Seat leaves the player on the ground and ejects the Phoenix into the air.
There will be more Cheats dropped into the game on a rotating basis, and additional Cheats will be added to the lineup post-launch.
Recently, a report came out that confirmed Rage 2 runs at 1080p 60 FPS on Xbox One X. This should ensure that the gameplay is incredibly smooth and responsive! Hopefully the story will be just as engaging because
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Minecraft Dungeons lead talks its next DLC and the future endgame
We talk Minecraft Dungeons’ recent Jungle Awakens DLC, the Creeping Winter expansion, and future endgame plans with game director, Måns Olson.
Fix up your Xbox Elite Controller with these parts
Need some replacement parts for your Xbox One Elite Controller? From new paddles, grips, bumpers, thumbsticks, and more, we have you covered.
Hands-on with Windows 10 build 20161 showcasing the new Start menu
Yesterday, Microsoft released a new build of Windows 10 that includes an updated Start menu design with translucent Live Tiles, improvements to Notifications, and behavior changes to things like Tablet Mode and the Taskbar. It's been a while since Microsoft released a build with any surface-level changes, but now it's finally happened, we're back showcasing all the changes on video.