Resident Evil 7 represents a return to form for the classic series, ditching over-the-top action to bring back all the tense atmospherics, terrifying exploration and nail-biting gunplay.
On a quest to find his missing wife, Ethan winds up at the Baker family homestead, only to find it teeming with mutant horrors. Video cassette tapes offer an interactive glimpse into past events, giving the player an opportunity to explore different characters' motivations. Most of these scenarios are straightforward, but the optional "happy birthday" videotape found in the attic above the Kid's Bedroom is a little more complex. Here's how to solve this puzzle.
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard is available now for Xbox One and Windows 10 as an Xbox Play Anywhere title.
Dive into a toilet, clean a dirty telescope, and celebrate your birthday!
- At the beginning of the tape, you awaken in a series of rooms similar to those found in the SAW movies. Take the candle to your left and then to the right, where you should see a birthday cake.
- The object of Lucas's twisted game is to get a lit candle onto the birthday cake, but water douses the flame as you enter the room. The lights should now be on, so return to the first room.
- You should see a weird robot, a sink and a toilet. Turn the sink faucet on.
- You should now be able to loot the toilet for a dirty telescope. Gross.
- Use the telescope in your inventory to view the lens, and then walk through the water shower to clean off the ... filth.
- Exit to the right of the birthday cake room and look at the monitors with the telescope for a code.
- Use the code to unlock the wall cupboard in the birthday cake room.
- Take the straw doll from the cupboard, and burn it on the oven found after you exit to the left from the birthday room.
- Use the finger on the robot next to the toilet.
- Light the candle on the oven, and then burn the rope on the door next to the TV monitors.
- Retrieve a deflated balloon from the floor of the balloon-filled room.
- Place the balloon on the pipe directly opposite the exit to the birthday cake room. You should now have a quill.
- Go to the birthday room and retrieve the clockwork key from the keg on the table.
- Power up the robot with the clockwork key, and then place the quill in his hand. You will "receive" a password.
- Take the password to the balloon room and retrieve the valve.
- Take the valve to the birthday cake room and turn off the water, to the left as you enter.
- Light the candle at the oven, and then celebrate your birthday!
Like many of Resident Evil 7's videotapes that offer glimpses of upcoming areas, this one is no different. You'll also want to remember the method in this puzzle, because it will help you survive what's in store.
Resident Evil 7 is a tremendous horror game for Xbox One and Windows 10, and as a Play Anywhere title, you'll receive a copy on both platforms with a single purchase. Check out our review below, and let us know what you think.
Jez Corden is a Senior Editor for Windows Central, focusing primarily on all things Xbox and gaming. Jez is known for breaking exclusive news and analysis as relates to the Microsoft ecosystem while being powered by caffeine. Follow on Twitter @JezCorden and listen to his Xbox Two podcast, all about, you guessed it, Xbox!
Watched someone on Twitch spend ages solving this. Also: This game is seriously messed up.
What's with all the RE7 spamming?
We post articles on Windows Central, it's kinda what we do.
I read through that, and without context that is the most bizarre series of tasks I have ever read.
Even with context, it's pretty bizarre. I purposely left out some of the weirdest stuff that happens as to not spoil the "birthday surprises."
I own this game and currently working through it so I'm all good with these articles! I just cleared the houses and now onto the ship. I really couldve used a map with all the antique coins. I think I missed a handful so never got around to unlocking the magnum. But the 2nd half you start fresh anyway it seems so I guess coins and items you collect are irrelevant unless you're acheivement hunting.
We're putting together an achievement and a coin guide, just taking a while ;)
Sir ! Please don't post these walkthroughs of RE7 . It really spoil the game . And for players who haven't reached there.
The article title is pretty clear
Don't read them then! lol
I will do this next time . Lol
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.