We’re actually pretty big fans of Shazam, the popular music ID service, as it tends to do a slightly more accurate job than the Bing music service. Throw in the ability to pin the scanner to your Start screen for 1-touch access and we’re happy campers.
Today, Shazam is announcing an updated Windows Phone 8 version of their popular app and it looks quite polished. Probably the biggest improvement comes from the tie in to Nokia Music, which is becoming an ever more popular service on Lumia Windows Phones.
We haven’t had a chance to try the new version ourselves, but we do have a Changelog of the new features, including the above new screenshots:
- Stunning tile display interface for a seamless user experience with larger artwork for tags and a richer blue background
- The ability to set local tags as a tile on your homescreen
- Music links to XBox Music and for Nokia phone users, Nokia Music hubs where fans can purchase the songs they tag
That's all in addition to the previously supported features. Clearly with a Windows Phone 8 optimized version, the tie in to Nokia Music and the Lumia 925 being feature, you can see just who Shazam is partnering up with here, right?
Shazam Launches Windows Phone 8 App with Links to XBox Music, Faster Tagging and More
London – 30 May 2013 - Shazam®, the world’s leading media engagement company, today announces the launch of the Shazam App for Windows Phone 8, with an innovative user interface and features including the industry’s fastest tagging, local tags and tagging from the home screen. The Shazam App is free with unlimited tags and helps consumers discover new music by identifying any song in mere seconds, then enabling them to go on and purchase their favorite tracks from either XBox Music or, if using a Nokia phone, Nokia Music. Also, with Win Phone 8, TV fans can use the Shazam App to get a great interactive second–screen experience with the TV shows and ads that interest them. The app also provides convenient social features with Facebook and Twitter.
“We are incredibly excited about this launch as it brings so many of Shazam’s key features to Windows Phone 8 fans,” said Daniel Danker, Chief Product Officer for Shazam. “Windows Phone 8 users now have access to a great smartphone experience, from faster tagging and a new interactive map, where users can discover the music people are listening to around them. This is more than just the music that’s already popular; these are often songs people are discovering for the first time.”
The new Shazam App for Windows Phone 8 will include popular Shazam features such as unlimited tagging, so that Windows Phone users can tag all the music, TV shows and ads they like, as well as:
- Local tags – Shazamers can check out the current tagging activity in their location, updated every 30 minutes, using the interactive mapping feature. This feature can also be set as a tile on the home screen.
- Social sharing – Shazam users can share their finds with friends over Facebook and Twitter
- Lyrics – With one touch, fans can see the lyrics to the songs they tagged.
- Music reviews and bios – people can get more information about the albums and artists they tag.
- Music Links – Now, it’s easier than ever for people to buy the songs they like with links to XBox Music and, if they are using a Nokia phone, Nokia Music hubs.
- Lock Screen background – Music fans can set their favorite cover art or tag charts as their phone’s wallpaper.
- Tag from the home screen – When Shazamers pin the tagging button to their home screen, they have faster access to discover, buy and share the media that interests them.
Additionally, the launch of Shazam on Windows Phone 8 features the great new look and feel of the Shazam App. The new Shazam design also includes larger artwork for tags and a richer blue background.
Downloading Shazam onto your Windows Phone 8 desktop, laptop or tablet is easy. The Microsoft Windows Store is built into every platform, making downloading the app a simple transaction.
Shazam is the world’s leading media engagement company with more than 300 million people in 200 countries and adding another 10 million new users each month. With the industry’s unlimited fastest tagging in the Free and premium Encore Apps on iOS and Android devices, Shazam is the best way for people to discover, explore, buy, and share more music, TV shows and branded content they love.
Shazam makes it easy for people to share their discoveries with their friends on Facebook using the Shazam Friends feature, as well as on Twitter and Google+. For people who don't yet have the Shazam application on their smartphone, it is available for FREE on every major platform and can be found on iTunes App Store, Google play, Amazon App Store, AT&T’s AppCenter, Verizon VCast app store, Nokia Store, Windows Phone Marketplace, BlackBerry App World, and GetJar..
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
The Medium Interview: How the Xbox Series X|S made this title possible
Looking for some inside information on the upcoming psychological horror game The Medium? Well, here's everything you need to know about the gameplay mechanics, haunting storytelling, and performance on Xbox Series X/S, straight from the team responsible.
Everything you need to know about AMD Radeon RX 6000 GPUs
AMD has unveiled its new lineup of Radeon RX 6000-series graphics cards, with three new pieces of hardware to look forward to. Here's what you need to know.
AMD's 'Big Navi' Radeon RX 6000 series GPUs are here, coming November 18
AMD today launched its latest GPUs, the Radeon RX 6000 series. The new cards are a major jump over the previous generation, offering even more power with big architectural improvements.
Make the most of your Surface Pen and Slim Pen with these awesome apps
To really maximize the ability of the Surface Pen and Slim Pen, there are some essential apps you should check out. We've rounded up the best right here for a variety of purposes.