Surface firmware updates typically solve issues, but the latest appears to be causing headaches for at least some Surface Pro 4 owners. In a lengthy thread on the Microsoft Answers community forums, Surface Pro 4 users began reporting a number of issues plaguing their machines following the release of the device's last set of firmware updates on July 26.
The number one reported problem is that the screen stops responding to touch and pen input. Additionally, excessively long restart times and a noticeable increase in fan usage seem to have been caused by the firmware updates. The user who started the Microsoft Answers thread, going by the name of ElixirHunter, summed up the issues:
- All of the keyboard/pad functions are working including zoom, scroll etc. but no screen-touch or pen response (pen button clicks still open pre-chosen programmes as they should) After being shut down will only start up with long hold on power switch.
- It now takes ages to restart (used to start in a few dreamy seconds). Begins with completely black screen for about 20 seconds and no visible signs of turning on (lights on Fn key for instance) then the SURFACE screen, then the ring and eventually lock screen.
- Seems to use the fan more often (it even continued after shut a few times).
- In device manager the Firmware has an exclamation mark on Surface ME saying: This device cannot start. (Code 10) - An attempt was made to change the attributes on memory that has not been committed.
- Trouble shooter detects this but can not solve it.
- The pen/ink section of the Surface App says: the Surface app needs an updated component from Windows Update in order to enable this feature
For its part, a Microsoft representative has responded to the thread, noting that the company is "actively investigating" the issue, but there's no solution for now.
Surface Pro 4 owners aren't alone: a years-old thread about unresponsive Type Covers on the Surface Pro 3 has seen an uptick in activity recently as well. It's unclear just how widespread the issues are, but they present serious problems for those who rely on their Surface Pro devices to get work done every day.
Thanks to Stu H. for the tip!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
The Black Friday keyboard deals you need to know about
Getting your hands on a new keyboard is exciting for PC users, and thanks to Black Friday, it's more affordable than ever before. Here's a look at the best Black Friday keyboard deals available now.
Best Wireless Headsets for Xbox Series X, Series S 2020
Next-gen consoles need next-gen wireless. Here are our picks for the best wireless headsets for Xbox Series X and Series S.
Here's what to expect from Windows 10 in 2021
The year is almost over, so it’s time to look ahead to 2021 and see what we can expect from Windows in 2021. Windows 10 has taken somewhat of a backseat when it comes to major features or OS changes in the last couple of years, but that appears to be about to change as Microsoft aims to refocus on the OS in big ways next year.
These external monitors are a great addition to your Surface Book 2, Book 3
Thinking about adding some screen real estate to your Surface Book 2 or Surface Book 3? Check out these external monitors that will fill the need for high resolution, smooth gaming, or budget pricing.