Surface firmware updates typically solve issues, but the latest appears to be causing headaches for at least some Surface Pro 4 owners. In a lengthy thread on the Microsoft Answers community forums, Surface Pro 4 users began reporting a number of issues plaguing their machines following the release of the device's last set of firmware updates on July 26.
The number one reported problem is that the screen stops responding to touch and pen input. Additionally, excessively long restart times and a noticeable increase in fan usage seem to have been caused by the firmware updates. The user who started the Microsoft Answers thread, going by the name of ElixirHunter, summed up the issues:
- All of the keyboard/pad functions are working including zoom, scroll etc. but no screen-touch or pen response (pen button clicks still open pre-chosen programmes as they should) After being shut down will only start up with long hold on power switch.
- It now takes ages to restart (used to start in a few dreamy seconds). Begins with completely black screen for about 20 seconds and no visible signs of turning on (lights on Fn key for instance) then the SURFACE screen, then the ring and eventually lock screen.
- Seems to use the fan more often (it even continued after shut a few times).
- In device manager the Firmware has an exclamation mark on Surface ME saying: This device cannot start. (Code 10) - An attempt was made to change the attributes on memory that has not been committed.
- Trouble shooter detects this but can not solve it.
- The pen/ink section of the Surface App says: the Surface app needs an updated component from Windows Update in order to enable this feature
For its part, a Microsoft representative has responded to the thread, noting that the company is "actively investigating" the issue, but there's no solution for now.
Surface Pro 4 owners aren't alone: a years-old thread about unresponsive Type Covers on the Surface Pro 3 has seen an uptick in activity recently as well. It's unclear just how widespread the issues are, but they present serious problems for those who rely on their Surface Pro devices to get work done every day.
Thanks to Stu H. for the tip!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
The first two Snapdragon 7c PCs are here, and they start at $299 with LTE
Along with a slew of announcements for the education market this week, Microsoft debuted the first two PCs to be powered by Qualcomm's Snapdragon 7c platform. Both are targeted at the education market, and they bring LTE for as little as $299.
Need a laptop with a Thunderbolt 3 port? Every PC here deserves a look.
Looking for a new laptop that has Thunderbolt 3 ports? Well, you're in luck, as we've rounded up what we think are the best Thunderbolt 3 enabled laptops available to buy today.
Windows 10 build 19546 arrives for Fast ring with graphing calculator
Microsoft pushed out another new Windows 10 Preview build for Windows Insiders on the Fast ring today. This build brings the build number up to 19546, and it includes a new graphing mode for the Calculator app.
Make the most of your Surface Pen and Slim Pen with these awesome apps
To really maximize the ability of the Surface Pen and Slim Pen, there are some essential apps you should check out. We've rounded up the best right here for a variety of purposes.