Nokia has kicked off a #spaceselfie contest to go alongside its developer Imagin8 competition. Releasing a new app to the Windows Phone Store, the Finnish company is tasking consumers to download the spaceselfie app, take an awesome shot of oneself with props and other galactic ideas to win a free Lumia Windows Phone.
The app enables consumers to snap photos, choose favourite space backgrounds and apply multiple filters to add a cinematic feel. Spaceselfie itself has been developed to showcase some of the capabilities of the Nokia Imaging SDK, which has just been bumped to version 1.1 with Windows 8.1 support and new filters.
Luckily, if you're unsure how you're going to get a perfect shot of yourself, Nokia has provided 5 helpful tips to get you started:
- Strong distinctive background colours work best - like blue, green and red.
- You'll need to make sure there's contrast between you and the background and that the background colour is not duplicated in anything you're wearing.
- If you're inside try using more than one light to illuminate your background - one from either side.
- Make sure there are no shadows, highlights, patterns, wrinkles or creases in the background.
- To help create good separation we recommend standing a couple of paces in front of your chosen background. This will also help ensure you don't cast any shadows on the background.
Make sure you follow these rules, whether you are taking a new picture or importing one from your camera roll.
Once you've got the desired end result, share your mug shot with the world on Twitter. Be sure to use the #spaceselfie hashtag or you'll not be entered into the draw. The most original photo will be selected as the winner. We look forward to seeing some rather futuristic and strange photos!
You can download Spaceselfie from the Windows Phone Store for free.
Benchmarking the new Surface Book 3 15 with GTX 1660 Ti and 10th Gen i7
Although it's too early for a review, here are some initial benchmarks from the new Surface Book 3 15-inch with a Core i7 and NVIDIA GeForce 1660 Ti (Max-Q) and how it compares to Surface Book 2 and other premium laptops. Spoiler: While the CPU is just OK, that 1660 Ti definitely bumps up the Book 3's potential.
HP devices are facing BSOD and boot loops, but HP appears to have a fix
HP users saw some serious issues with PCs over the weekend, including the Blue Screen of Death and boot loops. Now, an update from HP might fix the issue.
Minecraft Dungeons Ultimate Guide: Everything you need to know
Minecraft Dungeons is here, and it's time to run through everything you need to know about the game.
Set up a Surface Pro workstation with one of these external monitors
The Surface Pro is great on its own, but that doesn't mean you can't add one or two external monitors to it and create a sweet battlestation. Here are the best overall picks available now.