What you need to know
- Microsoft released the Surface Duo 2 emulator to help developers optimize apps for the new foldable device.
- The emulator runs Android 11 and supports Jetpack Windows Manager APIs, which adapt to UI layouts.
- Developers can download the emulator on Windows, macOS, and Linux.
Microsoft announced the Surface Duo 2 this week. The foldable device has significantly improved specs over its predecessor and a refined design. Microsoft invested time and effort to make a large generational leap between its foldable devices, and now it's asking developers to help on the app side of things. The Surface Duo 2 emulator is now available, allowing developers to optimize apps for the Surface Duo 2 and other foldable devices. Microsoft outlines all of its updates in a blog post.
The Surface Duo has larger screens than the original Surface Duo, so Microsoft's Design Kit has been updated. Screen resolution changes are also reflected in resource qualifiers for the Surface Duo.
You can download the latest version of the Surface Duo Android emulator from Microsoft's website. Microsoft highlights that the emulator "provides a complete dual-screen experience" for developers:
- [Runs] Android 11.
- Simulates the hinge with a 3D modes view.
- Supports Jetpack Window Manager APIs for adaptive UI layouts.
- When used on a touch-screen host device like Microsoft Surface PCs, supports multi-touch and pen sensitivity.
- Available for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Works with Android Studio, Visual Studio, VSCode, and other IDEs used for Android app development.
Microsoft's developer tools don't just benefit the Surface Duo 2 and original Surface Duo. The company's Jetpack Window Manager helps apps work with folding devices and large screen devices like the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3. Jetpack Window Manager provides APIs that can identify if a device has a continuous flat screen or if it has a hinge that disrupts a display. This allows developers to optimize apps for different foldable devices.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.