Swapchat, if you're not familiar with the name, is an unofficial Snapchat client for Windows Phone. We previously looked at the app when it was released on the Windows Phone Store, joined by a free version. The developer published version 1.2 to the store, which addressed numerous minor bugs and fixed some problems, but today we've got version 1.3.
So what's new in this latest release? Well, quite a lot actually. We're not looking at mere bug fixes and minor improvements. The developer has updated the app to use the v5 "Banquo" Snapchat API, implemented more Windows Phone 8 support and added numerous new features and functionality. If you've not tried this Windows Phone client yet, we strongly urge you togive it a go.
Here's a rundown of what's included in 1.3:
- Updated API to Snapchat v5 "Banquo" (should be faster and more reliable)
- Added WP8-native version
- Added toast notifications for new messages
- Added lock screen support (WP8 only)
- Fixed Live Tile support
- Improved friends management with a dedicated interface
- Added ability to view a friend's best friends and score
- Added recent friends on sending page
- Tap-to-focus on viewfinder
- Front-facing camera is now used by default (if available)
- Added support for emoji on the caption (WP8 only)
- Reduced text size to better match Snapchat's captions
- Added ability to reset password when login fails
- Fixed time setting not remembered between app launches
- Fixed faulty time zone conversions
- Fixed camera crashes when using hardware buttons
- Other minor improvements and bug fixes
We're sure everyone will be pleased to see the above implemented, especially if you're an avid user. You can download Swapchat from the Windows Phone Store for $1.29. A free version is also available (right QR code), but is still on 1.2 for now. Thanks to Brad and everyone else for the tips!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
The Black Friday keyboard deals you need to know about
Getting your hands on a new keyboard is exciting for PC users, and thanks to Black Friday, it's more affordable than ever before. Here's a look at the best Black Friday keyboard deals available now.
Best Wireless Headsets for Xbox Series X, Series S 2020
Next-gen consoles need next-gen wireless. Here are our picks for the best wireless headsets for Xbox Series X and Series S.
Here's what to expect from Windows 10 in 2021
The year is almost over, so it’s time to look ahead to 2021 and see what we can expect from Windows in 2021. Windows 10 has taken somewhat of a backseat when it comes to major features or OS changes in the last couple of years, but that appears to be about to change as Microsoft aims to refocus on the OS in big ways next year.
Make the most of your Surface Pen and Slim Pen with these awesome apps
To really maximize the ability of the Surface Pen and Slim Pen, there are some essential apps you should check out. We've rounded up the best right here for a variety of purposes.