Microsoft has pushed out an update to the View 3D app for Insiders on the Skip Ahead portion of the Windows 10 Fast ring. As spotted by Italian blog Aggiornamenti Lumia, the update renames the app from View 3D to Mixed Reality Viewer. This wasn't entirely unexpected, as Microsoft recently referred to the app by its new name when it announced a release date for the first Windows Mixed Reality headsets.
The update also packs in several UI tweaks, including a new loading animation and moving all controls to the top of the window. Here's a look at the full changelog (translated from Italian):
- Loading the app and its contents will be shown with a small 3D cube
- New logo represented by a 3D Cube (the same as used for uploads)
- All controls have now been placed high (information, controls, virtual camera, and full screen display)
- When shooting mixed-reality photographs, you will notice that the "All-In-Camera" and "Timer" icons have been positioned at the bottom left
- The timer now works properly
- If you reduce the size of the window, controls will automatically be grouped under "Other with 3D" Corrections and general improvements
Lastly, it's worth noting that Aggiornamenti Lumia reports that the app is no longer being compiled for ARM, which would spell its end of its compatibility on Windows 10 Mobile.
Insiders enrolled in Skip Ahead are already testing the first Redstone 4 build, and it's not clear if the name and UI changes for Mixed Reality Viewer are in the pipeline for the Fall Creators Update. If you're on the Skip Ahead ring, you should be able to grab the update, which bumps the app to version 2.1708.30142.0, now. Keep in mind that enrollment in Skip Ahead is no longer open, so this is fairly limited for the moment.
Thanks, Simon, for the tip!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Microsoft Edge Dev channel gets new collections features, extension sync
Another weekly update is out for the Microsoft Edge Dev channel, and it has a host of handy features to check out. New in this release are a couple of improvements to collections, extension sync, and more.
Join us for the latest Windows Central Video Podcast
We're live with the Windows Central Video Podcast today at 2:30pm ET, make sure you're there!
Are you working from home this week? (poll)
More people are working from home than ever right now, and we're wondering how you all are managing to stay productive in your homebound state. Chime in and let us know in our poll!
Here are the best Windows Mixed Reality games you can play right now
To help you decide which Windows Mixed Reality games you should play first, we’ve rounded up the best on offer right now from the Microsoft Store and SteamVR.