Microsoft has pushed out an update to the View 3D app for Insiders on the Skip Ahead portion of the Windows 10 Fast ring. As spotted by Italian blog Aggiornamenti Lumia, the update renames the app from View 3D to Mixed Reality Viewer. This wasn't entirely unexpected, as Microsoft recently referred to the app by its new name when it announced a release date for the first Windows Mixed Reality headsets.
The update also packs in several UI tweaks, including a new loading animation and moving all controls to the top of the window. Here's a look at the full changelog (translated from Italian):
- Loading the app and its contents will be shown with a small 3D cube
- New logo represented by a 3D Cube (the same as used for uploads)
- All controls have now been placed high (information, controls, virtual camera, and full screen display)
- When shooting mixed-reality photographs, you will notice that the "All-In-Camera" and "Timer" icons have been positioned at the bottom left
- The timer now works properly
- If you reduce the size of the window, controls will automatically be grouped under "Other with 3D" Corrections and general improvements
Lastly, it's worth noting that Aggiornamenti Lumia reports that the app is no longer being compiled for ARM, which would spell its end of its compatibility on Windows 10 Mobile.
Insiders enrolled in Skip Ahead are already testing the first Redstone 4 build, and it's not clear if the name and UI changes for Mixed Reality Viewer are in the pipeline for the Fall Creators Update. If you're on the Skip Ahead ring, you should be able to grab the update, which bumps the app to version 2.1708.30142.0, now. Keep in mind that enrollment in Skip Ahead is no longer open, so this is fairly limited for the moment.
Thanks, Simon, for the tip!
See at Microsoft (opens in new tab)
New name will be dance party 3d!
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.