Microsoft today is rolling out a fresh Windows 10 20H1 preview build for Fast ring Insiders, bringing the build number up to 18894. Coming along in this build is a slew of bug fixes and improvements, along with some powerful improvements to File Explorer to make searching all of your documents easier.
Here's a look at what's new.
- File Explorer improvements: We've heard your feedback asking for increased consistency, and to make it easier to find your files. Over the next few days we'll be starting to roll out a new File Explorer search experience – now powered by Windows Search. This change will help integrate your OneDrive content online with the traditional indexed results. This rollout will start with a small percent, and then we'll increase the rollout to more Insiders as we validate the quality of the experience.
- We've also updated the design, so now as soon as you click the search box in File Explorer (or press CTRL+E to set focus to it), you'll see the dropdown list with your search history.
- Narrator table reading improvements: Narrator is now more efficient when reading tables. Only the deltas are read when navigating. Entering and exiting tables is also less verbose.
- Narrator web page summary: There's a new command in Narrator to give a webpage summary! (Narrator + S). Currently this command will give information about hyperlinks, landmarks and headings.
- Magnifier text cursor setting: Windows Magnifier has a new ability to keep the text cursor in the center of the screen making it easier and smoother to type. Centered on the screen is on by default and can be changed in the Magnifier settings.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- We fixed an issue resulting in scrolling with the mouse wheel or touchpad not working reliably across the system in the last few flights.
- We fixed an issue where opening the Memory Integrity page in Windows Security would crash the app.
- We fixed an issue where the Windows Update icon in taskbar system tray is not high DPI optimized.
- We fixed a recent issue where the "Add someone else to this PC" window would crash if an MSA-attached user would try to add a local user to the PC.
- We fixed a typo in the WIN+(period) kaomoji section category names.
- We fixed a race condition that could result in users getting stuck with an outdated version of the search relevancy logic, impacting subsequent search results.
- We fixed an issue where Start menu wasn't launching if the "continue experiences on this device" group policy was "disabled".
- We fixed an issue where navigating using Narrator + R command got stuck in PowerPoint Edit View. Narrator no longer reads "null" after each command listed in the Narrator + F2 list.
- We fixed a problem where Narrator was at low volume and could not be increased.
For a full look at the release notes, you can check out Microsoft's blog post, which includes a known issue that prevents the Your Phone app from working with this build. Otherwise, you can pick up Windows 10 build 18894 on the Fast ring via Windows Update now.
Affordable accessories that'll pair perfectly with your PC
Every one of these awesome PC accessories will enhance your everyday experience — and none cost more than $30.
KLIM Aim RGB gaming mouse ($30 at Amazon)
Whether you're a gamer or not, this is an absurdly good mouse for the price. It's ambidextrous, has a responsive sensor, a braided cable, tank-like build quality, and, yes, it has RGB lighting, though you can turn it off if that's not your thing.
AmazonBasics USB speakers ($16 at Amazon)
These neat little speakers may only pack 2.4W of total power, but don't let that fool you. For something so small you get a well-rounded sound and a stylish design. And they only cost $16.
Razer mouse bungee ($20 at Amazon)
Use a wired mouse? You need a mouse bungee to keep your cable tidy and free of snags. You get no drag on the cable, and this one has subtle styling, a rust-resistant spring and a weighted base, all for $20.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.