For the second time this week, Microsoft is shipping out a fresh Windows 10 preview build to Insiders in the Fast ring. This latest release pushes the build number up to 17746 and, like other recent builds, doesn't pack any new features. Instead, Microsoft is focused on fixing bugs and improving performance as it winds down development of Redstone 5 ahead of its public release.
Here's a look at what's new:
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- We fixed an issue where Narrator would incorrectly report some standard combo boxes as "editable combo box" instead of "combo box".
- We fixed an issue in Windows Mixed Reality causing motion controllers to need to be re-paired after initial setup before appearing in the headset. If you still experience this, please file feedback in Feedback Hub.
- We fixed an issue for Japanese and German where when you reset your PC (from Settings > Update & Security > Recovery) the progress percent would be written in the middle of the string rather than at the end.
- We fixed an issue when using Italian as your display language where the Yes button to confirm file deletion would sometimes disappear when trying to delete a OneDrive file via File Explorer.
- Thanks for everyone that's shared feedback about naming the tabs you've set aside in Microsoft Edge. We're evaluating the right approach for this feature and in the meantime, it has been removed from RS5 builds.
- You may experience a bugcheck (GSOD) when logging out of your user profile or shutting down your PC.
- When you use the Ease of Access Make Text bigger setting, you might see text clipping issues, or find that text is not increasing in size everywhere.
- Narrator sometimes does not read in the Settings app when you navigate using Tab and arrow keys. Try switching to Narrator Scan mode temporarily. And when you turn Scan mode off again, Narrator will now read when you navigate using Tab and arrows key. Alternatively, you can restart Narrator to work around this issue.
Interestingly, Windows Insider chief Dona Sarkar also noted that the Your Phone app is now heading out to the Release Preview ring "specific to PCs running Windows 10 April 2018 Update (Version 1803, Build 17134)." Sarkar also confirmed the new name the team is exploring for Screen Sketch with Skip Ahead Insiders.
As always, you can review the full official release notes at the Windows Blog.
The Cyber Monday keyboard deals you need to know about
Getting your hands on a new keyboard is exciting for PC users, and thanks to Black Friday, it's more affordable than ever before. Here's a look at the best Black Friday keyboard deals available now.
Review: Immortals Fenyx Rising a late Game of the Year contender
Immortals Fenyx Rising skyrocketed to the top of my Game of the Year list, and I think it's something a lot of people will really like.
Review: Empire of Sin combines genres to let you take over 1920s Chicago
Empire of Sin, the wildly ambitious gangster simulator from Romero Games, combines aspects of Civilization, XCOM, and a Tycoon game to let you take over 1920s Chicago. All those disparate pieces work together surprisingly well for a flavorful and complex test of strategy.
These are the best PC sticks for when you're on the move
Instant computer, just add a screen! That’s the general idea of the ultra-portable PC Compute Sticks, but it can be hard to know which one you want. Relax, we’ve got you covered.