What you need to know
- Patch Tuesday brings with it the latest updates for Windows 10.
- 21H1 is now up to build 19043.1052 (KB5003637).
- It packs lots of security updates.
It's that time of the month: 21H1 Build 19043.1052 (KB5003637) has been released to Insiders on 21H1 in the Beta Channel & Release Preview Channel. It's security-focused, as can be seen by the list of key changes Microsoft has provided. Here's what's gotten a security update:
- Microsoft Scripting Engine
- Windows App Platform and Frameworks
- Windows Input and Composition, Windows Management -Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Authentication
- Windows Fundamentals
- Windows Virtualization
- Windows Kernel -Windows HTML Platform
- Windows Storage and Filesystems
As for the rest of the June changes in update KB5003637 (which packs OS Builds 19041.1052, 19042.1052, and 19043.1052 for Windows 10 versions 2004, 20H2, and 21H1), here are the highlights (opens in new tab), according to Microsoft:
- Updates to improve security when using input devices such as a mouse, keyboard, or pen.
- Updates to improve Windows OLE (compound documents) security.
- Updates for verifying usernames and passwords.
- Updates to improve security when Windows performs basic operations.
- Updates for storing and managing files.
This update also packs a servicing stack update. "This update makes quality improvements to the servicing stack, which is the component that installs Windows updates. Servicing stack updates (SSU) ensure that you have a robust and reliable servicing stack so that your devices can receive and install Microsoft updates."
You can see the full list of changes via the above two source links, though these are the highlights. Not a massive Patch Tuesday, but at the same time, no one can complain about security and servicing stack upgrades.
Robert Carnevale is the News Editor for Windows Central. He's a big fan of Kinect (it lives on in his heart), Sonic the Hedgehog, and the legendary intersection of those two titans, Sonic Free Riders. He is the author of Cold War 2395. Have a useful tip? Send it to email@example.com.
I installed this Feature version on my Surface Laptop 3 and Surface Pro X and both devices didn't like it. After the update I went back to the Windows Update screen and it would just hang there looping. Not sure if I was supposed to do anything different. When I went to the Power option, there was the choice to Update and Restart and Update and Power off. Neither worked as expected so I rolled back.
For all our systems, we had to restart 2 times before the "Update Cleanup" screen shows up and finishes the updates. After that, it seems to work quite well and no issues so far
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.