Surface Duo with Windows 11 seems like dream device for Windows Central readers

Surface Duo Windows 11 Gustavemonce
Surface Duo Windows 11 Gustavemonce (Image credit: Gustave Monce)

What you need to know

  • An independent developer recently managed to get Windows 11 to run on both displays of a Surface Duo.
  • The project inspired a discussion online about running Windows on a foldable mobile device.
  • In our poll, over 82% of voters would like to run Windows 11 on the Surface Duo.

Last week, independent developer Gustave Monce shared images of Windows 11 running on a Surface Duo. The photos brought back memories of Windows Phone for many of our readers. While the concept of running Windows 11 on a foldable mobile device was intriguing, we wanted to know if our readers would actually use such a device.

In our recent poll, over 82% of voters said that they'd want a Surface Duo running Windows 11, leaving just under 18% saying they wouldn't want such a device.

"Hell Yes! I want a duo running W11 or 10X or whatever as it's running Windows that would be a good start as at least then there's ARM64EC and I'd finally be heck load more productive on my phone," said TechFreak1.

"Voted yes. If I could have a single telephony device that runs Android apps (through Windows 11) while on the go, but productivity full Windows applications while docked to mouse/keyboard/monitor, that would be my dream device," added CSJr1.

While the vast majority of voters expressed an interest in Windows 11 running on the Surface Duo, many of the commenters disagreed.

"It is a fun project, but Windows 11 as it is? Well nah. Thing is Windows 11 Shell isn't really optimized for such a small screen, not even meant for dual-screen type of devices either," said aXross. "Each screen is basically treated as two monitors on regular PC, not like how it behaves on Surface Duo or Neo was."

Sean Endicott
News Writer and apps editor

Sean Endicott brings nearly a decade of experience covering Microsoft and Windows news to Windows Central. He joined our team in 2017 as an app reviewer and now heads up our day-to-day news coverage. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at