What you need to know
- Xbox Live has given examples of acceptable trash talking in a new post.
- Hate speech and other racist attacks won't be tolerated.
- Engaging in such behavior will get your account suspended.
A few days ago, Microsoft updated its community standard for using Xbox Live. While the document contains a number of guidelines you should follow — or risk getting banned — it also contains a detailed section on trash talking. While we all would like to live in a world where trash talking didn't exist, it's a natural part of a competitive experience, especially if it involves multiplayer combat in tight arenas. The adrenaline kicks in and gamers say a lot of disparaging phrases.
Microsoft acknowledges that trash talking takes place, and in the new community standard, gave examples of acceptable trash talking. While they're unintentionally hilarious, they aren't racist, sexist, or insult any other group. Acceptable trash talk includes the following phrases.
- Get destroyed. Can't believe you thought you were on my level.
- That was some serious potato aim. Get wrecked.
- Only reason you went positive was you spent all game camping. Try again, kid.
- Cheap win. Come at me when you can actually drive without running cars off the road.
- That sucked. Get good and then come back when your k/d's over 1.
However, going too far looks like like the following. You will get banned if you engage in such behavior. It's suffice to say using threats of sexual violence, racism, and profanity during multiplayer games is downright unacceptable.
- Get (sexual threat).Can't believe you thought you were on my level.
- Hey (profanity), that was some serious potato aim. Get wrecked, trash.
- Only reason you went positive was you spent all game camping. KYS, kid.
- Cheap win. Totally expected from a (racial slur).
- You suck. Get out of my country — maybe they'll let you back in when your k/d's over 1.
The section ended by saying "Be yourself, but not at the expense of others...If you're looking for a place on the internet to be overly edgy or get that rise out of people, Xbox isn't the place for you."
Keep in mind that millions of other gamers use Xbox Live just like you do. There are ways to express your individuality and have a positive impact on other players.
Netflix for games
Play over 100 games for one low price per month
Xbox Game Pass has a lot of important games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider and much more. There is a promotion going on right now which discounts it to just $1. There are also three-month subscriptions available for $30 on Amazon.
Xbox accessories you'll love
Every one of these quality accessories is guaranteed to enhance your Xbox experience.
PowerA Enhanced Wired Controller for Xbox One ($20 at Amazon)
PowerA's take on the Xbox One controller is an attractive pickup for budget-conscious gamers that nails all the basics.
Talon PDP Xbox media remote ($20 at Amazon)
The Talon PDP Xbox media remote is great for watching shows on your console.
Xbox One S vertical stand ($10 at Amazon)
Stand your console upright with this accessory.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Should you get an SSD or HDD when building your PC?
Building or upgrading a PC and don't know whether to go with SSD or HDD for your storage? Let's break it down.
Rainbow Six Siege Operation Void Edge: Everything we know
Rainbow Six Siege Operation Void Edge opens Year 5 with new Operators, maps, and a ton of gameplay improvements. We’ve wrapped up everything we know about Ubisoft’s cryptic next season, ahead of its Six Invitational reveal.
This Surface Neo patent shows the potential XCloud has on Windows devices
A recent patent filing shows Microsoft is at least thinking about game controller attachments for the Surface Neo.
Check out EVERY Xbox One controller style and color
Find the perfect Xbox One controller for you with this complete list of every design to date.