It is Friday evening so time for another round of #AskDanWindows! If you recall, we started a new web series last week where you ask me a question, and I do my best to answer them. As it turns out, you really liked the format, so we'll continue with these weekly (and thanks for all the positive feedback).
Normally, we want to keep these to around five to seven minutes. However, there was obviously a lot of news this week so many questions we asked. As a result, this one runs a bit longer than usual, so hopefully you will not zone out too much.
What's on the agenda? Glad you asked.
#AskDanWindows Episode 2
- MS seem to be continually updating the band. Any news on version 2 and/or hitting more markets? - @doktorgphd
- Do you believe Hololens (and similar hardware) are the next hardware revolution after smartphones- @mohamedabadila
- If (God forbid) Windows Phone/Mobile doesn't make it, what platform would you rather switch to? - @LTTGO
- I've heard the new flagship phones have metal casing. Will that affect Qi, or is the metal casing worth the trade off? - @benstoic
- How Likely are we to see an Intel Powered Windows Mobile Phone from MS? - @Kmoody2003
- With this week's announcement of layoffs. Will Microsoft continue to make Nokia Lumia's? Seems like everything is in limbo. - @lonnieanderson
- Do you really think that the recent strategic planning will help Windows Phone to grab more share -@ArghyaKarforma
- In a nutshell, what is the motivation for mobile-focused devs / companies to build universal apps? - @onedigeratti
- Do you think lowering the number of devices will convince OEMs to make more Windows phones. - @MarvelBoyRed
Have a question for me? Ask it on Twitter using the hashtag #AskDanWindows and maybe we'll pick yours for our next episode!
Benchmarking the new Surface Book 3 15 with GTX 1660 Ti and 10th Gen i7
Although it's too early for a review, here are some initial benchmarks from the new Surface Book 3 15-inch with a Core i7 and NVIDIA GeForce 1660 Ti (Max-Q) and how it compares to Surface Book 2 and other premium laptops. Spoiler: While the CPU is just OK, that 1660 Ti definitely bumps up the Book 3's potential.
Minecraft Dungeons has a major secret Diablo fans will love (spoilers)
Minecraft Dungeons is here, and I can't stop playing it. As we dive deeper into the end game, we keep finding more and more secrets, and one has been found now that Diablo fans will love.
Halo 2's PC launch instability was unacceptable, and Halo 3 can't repeat it
The launch state of Halo 2's multiplayer on PC was simply unacceptable, and the fact that the game was allowed to release in this state raises serious concerns about how future Halo ports, especially Halo 3, will turn out. Here's why this can't happen again if Halo is to be successful on the PC platform.
All our picks for the very best laptops with USB-C ports
Looking for a new laptop that has USB-C ports? Perhaps you need Thunderbolt 3, or maybe Thunderbolt 3 isn't a requirement for you. Either way, we've rounded up what we think are the best USB-C laptops available to buy today.