When Baconit re-launched recently after being rewritten for Windows 10 many users bemoaned the lack of advanced features. However, this was always a temporary situation as the app began to be built back up once stabilized. Now, just in time for Christmas Baconit has received yet another significant update with many new features.
Baconit version 4.3 went live late last night here in the US and with it comes a focus on 'User Profiles, Sorting, Band Wallpaper, And More'. What's even better is the rather detailed changelog associated with the update. Let's take a look!
- It's finally here!
- See information for any user; karma, cake day, gold status, and more
- View all submitted posts; the list is sortable
- View all submitted comments; the list is sortable
- Band wallpaper image updating from any subreddit support
- Moved settings to independent settings category
- Sorting, comment count, and refresh added
- Minimize button for the post header
- Added a "user" button for each comment to view the user
- Added support for newer spoilers tags
- Added UI for posts with no comments
- Right click or long press to go to user
- Time sort added when in "Top" sorting mode
- Added "Go to user" under the … menu for posts
- Added option to disable preload posts
- Added option to not show any posts until tapped
- Perf work
- Pages now bleed color into the status bar on mobile
- Custom errors when reddit is down instead of default messages
- Wallpapers and desktop images are scaled to your screen resolution for better perf
- Big memory optimizations - thanks Matt Connew
- Vote count bug fixed – thanks Nayan Shah !
- Fixed a few hard hitting bugs in the background image updater
- Cleaned up random text
- Cleaned up pop-up message box UI
Combined with the last update that brought full Notification Center support and Baconit is racing to the top again with features, stability and fantastic design (in our opinion). As usual, you can make yourself heard and contribute to the open-sourced project by heading over to www.reddit.com/r/baconit for more information.
Is anyone using version 4.3? Let us know what you like and what you think is still missing.
Download Baconit for Windows 10 (opens in new tab)
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Daniel Rubino is the Editor-in-chief of Windows Central, head reviewer, podcast co-host, and analyst. He has been covering Microsoft since 2007 when this site was called WMExperts (and later Windows Phone Central). His interests include Windows, laptops, next-gen computing, and for some reason, watches. Before all this tech stuff, he worked on a Ph.D. in linguistics, watched people sleep (for medical purposes!), and ran the projectors at movie theaters because it was fun.
I think its finally on par (in terms of features) with Readit. Hooray!
Baconit is fast and reliable and has an awesome dev, but I like the aesthetics of Readit more...
Readit perhaps looks a little nicer, but that's just personal styling preference. Baconit is soooo much faster though. Readit even feels sluggish on my 950.
It's good to see developers adopting the "Release first, update later" approach to their UWP apps. It's not good to see Microsoft use the same approach with the Windows 10 Mobile OS, which is still quite rough at the edges.
Honestly dude... who asked you all that??
He's referring to the fact Baconit was released in a not quite finished state and has been updated several times to bring it to feature rich. Whatever that is. Similar concept to W10M. Not sure I completely agree about W10M, but I get his point. It's about context...
I want touse back it but I prefer readit. Ui. Of course I prefer the windows 8 version from readit. That said glad to see baconit updated. It isa bit more stable thank the readit win10 version
Still no DisplayRequest().Active for media elements? Lovely.
What is baconit ?
Download and expand your mind. Absorb content for days. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.