AT&T Lumia 900 gets firmware update, fixes display issue and more
Good news for those on AT&T with the Lumia 900, Nokia in conjunction with Microsoft are now pushing out a firmware update to fix numerous lingering issues with the premier phone.
The following are the main changes:
- Fixes purple display issue - In short, when the screen would dim down to "low" greys would become purple across the whole display, including on graphics and photos
- Proximity sensor - minor adjustments to the sensitivity of the proximity sensor should make phone calls more pleasant when the user puts the phone to their face
- Others - We're still getting details but there are also a multitude of other smaller fixes that will greatly enhance the user experience
The update went live 10 am PDT and users should be able to plug their devices into their computers (Desktop Zune) and pick up the new firmware. Note, this is NOT an OS upgrade and it does not contain "Tango"--this is simply a maintenance release for firmware. However, Nokia does note:
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in your inbox, every day!
Daniel Rubino is the Editor-in-chief of Windows Central, head reviewer, podcast co-host, and analyst. He has been covering Microsoft since 2007 when this site was called WMExperts (and later Windows Phone Central). His interests include Windows, laptops, next-gen computing, and for some reason, watches. Before all this tech stuff, he worked on a Ph.D. in linguistics, watched people sleep (for medical purposes!), and ran the projectors at movie theaters because it was fun.
btw I'm on version 2175.1601.8773.12141
Did they also ship the fix for the screen draw bug?
As for the camera...I've found that while the dedicated photo button is a nice feature, it is the worst way to actually take a photo for me. The physical pressing of the button introduced enough shake on the phone that pics taken using the button are always blurry for me. Ive tried holding the phone as still as possible, even bracing my arms agains something and slowly pressing the button. Blurry. I now exclusively touch the screen to take shots. Only use the camera button to launch into the camera app. I came from iphone 4. Id rate the iphone4 camera and software a 9, the 900 camera and software 5.5. Otherwise, Im loving the wp environment. :)
We can only hope for camera improvemtns, but I have to say, I've never seen Customer/Device Support like Nokia is doing! It makes my decision to get the 900 over the Titan II a really good call!
also a multitude of other smaller fixes that will
greatly enhance the user experience" Multitude? Really?
Are you listening/reading? Your Titan 1 owners would love some updates too... %$^$&*#@!
Honestly this is what Windows Phone needs to succeed, hardware support. Software can't get anywhere without the proper hardware. Sure HTC has released some nice stuff, but it is so obvious where HTC's and Samsung's resources are going to, while Apple has their own, and Microsoft was left with the scraps until they got Nokia to come along. Hope this keeps up.
There are CRITICAL issues facing the Titan, specifically the memory crash bug and the noise canceling mic bug.....yet nothing from HTC. Time to take to the twitterverse for some public shaming.
Good call Nokia - but I do wish we could set the volumes for things independently and just leave the Hardware buttons for Call/Music volumes unless set at zero! - maybe next update in a week or so :-)
Thank NOKIA. I am getting your stock. So hang in there till Win 8 and we'll all become rich :)
I have four different phones that have this affect or defect. I don’t think that it can be fixed due to the small sensor and lens.
1) Screen draw is perfect now! Games that have lots of touch action like Wordament, now play perfectly.
2) Sound from the internal speaker sounds better. I listen to tuninradio a lot and always thought the Lumia 900 sounded great but now it sounds even better! (Amazing for a phone actually)
3) Obviously the purple hue issue is resolved. With this is new brightness settings. Initially I thought the lower setting was too dim but I was doing some reading in bed last night and the low setting is perfect. Just the right amount of light to read without feeling like someone turned on the light in the room (It was sooo bright before)
4) External speaker volume is more accurate. Before the volume was too loud on 1-7 volume levels. It's a bit better now. The problem still exists that 1-7 are the same volume level though (minor issue really)
5) When I plug the phone in to charge it registers that it's charging more quickly now (still a little slow but better)
6) The camera seemed to focus and take a picture more quickly. The quality of pictures did not seem to improve much except I did notice pictures don't blur as much as they did before. So that's good
7) My camera always wakes up now when I push the camera button. It didn't before most of the time.
8) Volume still won't change when the screen is off. This one makes me sad.. I really wish they had fixed it.
That's it for now since I really havn't used my phone much since the update. I'm sure I'll have more coments soon!
My call history ONLY shows outgoing calls (no missed or incoming)
My visual voicemail is gone (even after being reset)
I can no longer send MMS I was able to fix these issues ONLY by doing a full factory reset and restore. Now I get to spend the rest of my night reinstalling apps, adding accounts and reorganizing my phone.
Come on Nokia/Windows! Get it right, for once.